Random musings..

tverskaya

Dec 28, 2005
Have been gone from the Gauge for some months and suddenly the layout and the name changed. The shock! Well, I guess it's all acceptable and all, especially after finding out that the core has stayed the same. Figured I had to post something, as the forum pushed a feeling of guild upon me with this kind message:

"Hello tverskaya it appears that you have not posted on our forums in several weeks, why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums?"

As I'm already well adapting to heed the wishes of our computer overlords, I didn't wait for long to start writing a message about the latest events around my sixth floor miniature rail empire.

First, I was reminded of it in a dream (spooky huh?) I just saw a trackplan, or a more or less finished layout. Think it was H0, although I only have N stuff. Three modules or so, with a dogbone layout or a reversing loop with a small yard on the other end. And a turntable. I think I should have drawn it as soon as I woke up, because it's a bit vague. Maybe a week later another dream where I was discussing the benchwork for a layout with someone. Cool or what? Anyone else getting inspiration from their subconcious mind?

Anyways, so then on to getting more inspiration on three of my favourite sites: Wikipedia (for random stuff), Carendt.com (small layout scrapbook) and thegauge. Some cool ideas I came across were: A very strange point: Image:pilatus2.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (that's some scratchbuilding challenge I say!), Funicular - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (nothing new, but the concept just cries micro layout), Image:Cog railway Schneeberg.jpeg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (I want one of those. It's just so cool.), Transporter wagon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (I'm probably just ignorant, so this might be not very noteworthy) and finally Small Layout Scrapbook (The submerged pizza and the lighthouse just caught my eye...beautiful and above all original stuff...)

Tons of great stuff, basically, and what does the progress-meter on my layout say? "Nothing new. That subway project...dunno...maybe some day, but I want to model the outdoors too..."

A mystery for you to solve: "When do credit cards unexpectedly expire when you find yourself on an online shopping spree?"

tv

Gary S.

Oct 13, 2005
Texas
Very interesting post, tverskaya. Hope to see more of your musings here at The Gauge.

Can't say I've dreamt of my layout design, but have had spontaneous ideas pop into my head when I wasn't thinking of model railroading. "Ding! That's it! That will be perfect!" Everything just falls into place.

tverskaya

Dec 28, 2005
TrainNut - that reminds me of the my first layout that my dad built me when I was a wee kid. Wasn't nearly as nice as that one though :)

Gary - never underestimate the associative quality of the human mind...great ideas come at the most unexpected moments. (but why is it that for some reason so often while sitting on the loo?)