Ran me first train today!! Woohoo!

Agatheron

Nov 8, 2003
Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Okay... so I post too much for someone who's just starting out. However, I finally managed to get my hands on a base-end DC power pack... I pulled out my track, my cars, my three locomotives, and gave them a whirl on my dining room table. I even managed to do a bit of switching with a single spur line in the oval I made...

A few lessons learned:

1. I need to upgrade all my cars and locomotives to M-T couplers (and trucks). I could see the difference with my SD40-2 versus everything else... I even tried doing magnetic coupling and such... :)

2. I love the Peco turnouts and how easy they work even on the tabletop. The rest of the track I was using was Atlas sectional stuff...

3. I much prefer switching to watching things go 'round in an oval. Although the continuous running is a nice way to have something going on while I do the switching...

4. I really need to get my layout going soon... but part of that needs to wait until I find out if I am moving or not...

Anyway, now that I've run them once, I'll be doing this a bit more often and doing some more experimenting as I work towards my layout!

Originally posted by Agatheron

3. I much prefer switching to watching things go 'round in an oval. Although the continuous running is a nice way to have something going on while I do the switching...

This is the best of both worlds. Even more fun on a small layout when a switching movement shares track with a mainline (a prototype no-no, but sometimes modellers are forced to compromise) and has to be completed before that express comes roaring by again.