Ralph's layout party

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Time for me to get onboard with this! Since I don't have a digital camera and have to shoot up a roll to get pics to scan I'll introduce my project with a couple of sketches. My least finished part of my layout is on a curve that has tracks on two levels.

Here's an old pic of the upper level: http://www.the-gauge.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=19964&stc=1

There is hidden track immediately below the track pictured in the photo. I can access it by removing rock wall cliffs made of styrofoam covered with joint compound and a long brick retaining wall made of styrofoam (originally manufactured for christmas railroad scenes but nicely done for my purposes.)

The project for me now is to scenic in front of the removeable walls in a way that hides the joints between them without getting in the way when I need to remove them.

Attachments

• layoutparty1.jpg
    layoutparty1.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 102

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
I've decided to use Woodland Scenics trees that come in a 15 pack of tree armatures and a three pack of foliage foam. These trees come with bases that the trunks can be fitted in and pulled out of. This is crucial to me since I can pull out the trees to access the removale cliff walls. (Note to track planners...avoid complicated hidden track issues like this! :rolleyes: ) I plan to glue the bases down and then hide them with ground cover.

I also intend to put in a station between the retaining wall and the track. I bought a classic Atlas station already assembled from the backroom of my LHS for about $3.00. I removed the plastic base and am making a longer platform for it.

Here's a sketch of the plan...

Attachments

• layoutparty2.jpg
    layoutparty2.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 102

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
The other structure in the sketch above is a diner that is already in place and pictured in this old photo:

http://www.the-gauge.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=20188&stc=1

I've removed the spur (which I really didn't use much) running behind the diner, freeing up more space for scenary. Those are a couple of the styro cliff walls hiding track in the background. You can see that the area looks a bit barren for a Northeastern RR scene. Time to green it up!

Ralph

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Huh? Wha..? Am I supposed to be doing something here? OH! Right! The layout party! Actually I have been working on my projects but a layout party thread without pictures isn't very interesting and I need to finish off a roll of film before I can post my progress.

I did plant those trees and the area is much more Eastern looking. I've also made a station platform but need to add details like benches, passengers, and maybe some street lights to illuminate the platform for night riders.

I've weathered my cheapie plastic water tower and grew some shrubbery all around it that actually climbs the structure. While there are eventual plans to demolish the tower the railroad has installed a chain link fence around the base of the water tower to keep people from vandalizng the outdated structutre and hurting themselves.

Ralph

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Another thing I wanted to do for the layout party was to weather a water tower that supposedly would be soon scheduled for demolition. I had a location in mind for it but then decided to place it where Dave's diner is in the previous photo. Dave's is now across the tracks from the local RR station.

Attachments

• layoutparty2.jpg
    layoutparty2.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 65