Rails Stolen From The E.B.T.R.R

N

nachoman

I hope this is easy to track down. Rail is heavy and conspicuous, meaning it would cost more than it is worth to transport it very far, and if they alert all the scrap dealers in the area, they should find their theives. Of course, a few railfans have been known to swipe souveniers, but nothing this big. These theives were smart enough to create a fake work order, but I am curious what their plan was to do with the rail. this kind of stuff really angers me.

kevin

who_dat73

What P%^^es me off at work in our scrap yard is when the Boss tells me chop that up right away or put that under somthing I know he suspects somthing but dosn't have the gumbos to say anything because he is afraid to have the cops and or higher ups in the company poking theyre noses around and checking out our yard. Not that he is a out and out bad guy he just and got any gumbos..
Kinda reminds me of the time we picked up a big tub of scrap metal and when they brought it down to me and dumped it out the were a ton of effidrin bottels in there, I told him he needed to contact somone since this is the main ingredeant in meth he told me no we dont need to get anyone in trouble.
Needles to say I went home to have dinner and made a call myself to the cop shop I figured heck with it if he ant gonna protect his kids I am still gonna protect mine.

steamhead

Yesterday I heard a repor on NPR about manhole covers that are disappearing....Some cities report that from a few per year, they've lost hundreds this year....And of course they wind up in scrap yards that don't report them....Hard times are a comin'....

Jim Krause

Western Oregon had a rash of thefts of bronze statues recently. How could any scrap yard not be suspicious of arms, legs and heads of local hero's and historical figures showing up?

nkp174

It definitely wasn't railfans...the EBT is "sacred" ground...it is one of the few places I've actually seen every railfan acting respectful. ;-)

I hope they nail the guys.

who_dat73

Like I said before some managers just do the put it on the bottem of the pile and if anybody asks you dont know a thing cuz he dont want to bring anybody snooping around the yard.

And evin with all the people that do get caught for this stuff I should know I have made more then one phone call there is another that will step up to take theyr place...

One thing that has always bothered me in this job is when somone brings in the Bronze headstone plaques I know that they are coming from the dealer but just the thought reading somones headstone and thinking of the desicration that somone would stoop to "and there are some that would go that far" bothers tha heck out of me:cry:

Chessie6459

Gauge Oldtimer
I have not heard anything else on this story. When I find out some more news I will post it for all of you. I am still in shock about this. How could anyone do that. I sure hope they do get caught.

I am still in shock about this. How could anyone do that.

They steal the rails because they're literally not shocked by it - unlike the morons that fried themselves a few blocks from my house in downtown San Bernandino last year - while stealing live copper cable out of an underground transformer vault.