railroads running in cement

I wanted to know if anyone has a way to model rails that are laid in cement. I want to model a rail at the docks and wanted to know how I can model the rails that run in the docks that are made of cement or blacktop.
Thanks,
dhd

Jim Krause

Have you looked at the January 2008 Model Railroader magazine? There is a suppliment inside about modeling streets and roads that has some info that you can use.

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
One technique is to make your "concrete" out of sheet styrene, just a tiny bit thinner than the rail is tall, and cut it to fit outside, and between the rails.

only15

PRO:Pain In The Behind
or you could use plaster or hydrocal!!
just make sure you put the gaps etc to clear the wheels

Glen Haasdyk

I used hydrocal to simulate the concrete floor in my enginehouse. I did a thin pour so that just the tops of the ties were covered and then used an nmra guage to make sure the flangeways were cleaned out.

N

nachoman

I've used the plaster method before. It takes a little patience, but looks good. Spread the plaster even with the tops of the rails using the widest putty knife that you can. Completely cover the track - both inside and outside the rails. Don't wory about keeping the flangeways clear. After the plaster has set up, you can carve out the flangeways later using a tool made from a sharpened nail. This is the basic method that was described in a model railroader project layout back in the early 90s. The port of los angeles layout, I think.

Kevin

TCH

whatever you use make sure you leave it lower than the rails
makes it much easier to clean the track without taking off any paint etc

Dansco

I was wondering about that..cleaning the rails that are laid in plaster...
I wonder if buying one of those chepo plastic drywall taping knives and cutting some shallow notches (like a rail gauge) might be a good idea...

I think though, that I might just used properly colored plaster and not worry about cleaning removing paint...