railroad memorabilia

csxengineer

May 16, 2003
Pittsburgh, Pa
Visit site
Besides lanterns and timetables, do you guys collect anything else that your proud of ? What's the most unique item in your "train room"? If modeling a fallen flags prototype, did you manage to salvage anything along the right of way?
I'd love to see pics!
Thanks.

Ray Marinaccio

Aug 4, 2003
Dewey Az.
Visit site
We have a locomotive bell that my father-in-law got when he worked at Conway yard. I'm not sure what locomotive it came from and nobody seems to be able to tell me. but it's neat and we love it.
I also have my dad's RR watch and his certificate of examination and promotion to road conductor for the P&LE, dated April 1948. And a conductors pass for 1949-1950.

RailRon

Nov 23, 2002
Trimbach, Switzerland
I have a paraffin oil headlamp from a Swiss steam switcher (our locos had and have three headlamps). And from my grandfather, who was a station agent, I still have a signal whistle which he used for switching movements in 'his' yard.

Ron

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
Dec 20, 2000
South Eastern, PA
mywebpages.comcast.net
I have a set of receipts from The Reading RR from 1899, they range from the original order to the signature for transport & delievery, for 2 Steam engines from BLW. I also have a Baldwin Locomotive Works RR Pass, and a letter written as a "service in kind" pass for other RR's.

IAIS 604

Aug 31, 2003
Visit site
Stock certificates - I "own" shares in my CHICAGO, ROCK ISLAND and PACIFIC railroad ... well, it is as valuable as most stocks today!

;)

I COULD dig up some RI track or get some items along the right of way near my house, but the Iowa Interstate RR that uses that track today might have some objection to that ..............

:eek:

Tileguy

Apr 28, 2003
Northern Mn
Visit site
I have quite a few items including passes,stock(from the GN) Yard sheets pens,glasses,cards and many more too numerous to mention.Some items i find i turn around and sell to add to my Modelling Pot.Like the Soo Line briefcase i have listed in the classifieds here.Looks like its going to go on ebay though.Oh well, no Soo collectors here :)

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
I have a picture of Stinker, the yard dawg at the Lafayette Monon shops:

stinker.jpg

Actually it's scanned in from their newletter :D

pomperaugrr

May 21, 2003
Connecticut
Visit site
I don't usually go to tag sales or flea markets, but I did go to a flea market last weekend. One gentleman had two steam locomotive tools, but he didn't know what they were. I was able to pick up an ash rake and a hook for shaking steam locomotive grates for a total of $10.00. :cool: They are in pretty good shape and are going to be displayed near my layout. He said that he picked them up at a tag sale in New Haven, so I'm assuming that they are from the Cedar Hill yard. I'll have to research these a bit more.

Eric

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
I have the station sign from Flower Station on the CPR's Kingston & Pembroke line. This was a Christmas present from some friends who bought a cabin in the area.
I also have a set of roll signs for a TTC PCC car (not both from the same car). The route sign was bought at the time they changed over from names to numbers; the destination sign came at one of the last great fleet reductions.

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
I have a Brakeman's club that they used in the link and pin days..This was used by my Great Uncle on the NYC.
I have 2 spikes from the C&O "Kinney Branch" that ran from Garrison Ky to Carter City(now Carter) Ky..This branch started life as the Kinniconic & Freestone RR and was bought out by the C&O.
I have 5 builder plates off of 3 C&O GP9s..These was given to me by the shop foreman at the C&O Hunting shops when I worked on the C&O/Chessie.Sadly these units where to be scrapped and was stripped of most usable parts.
That is my collection outside of my old Hanlin issued by the c&O when I started braking..I went to turn it in and the store keeper said to keep it as he had more then he will ever use since you brakemen is being done away with.I still have my rule book and employee TTs.

pcentral

Jul 17, 2002
Central California
Visit site
Where do I start?:confused: I have enough track tools with the hardhats and lanterns to hand lay track day and night til I fell over and died.:eek: Besides all the matchbooks,TT,maps and all the other normal stuff people collect I have several more unique items. A Santa Fe conductors uniform hangs in the "train room" with a showcase full of railroadiana including a tachometer from a GP-9 given to me by the superintendent of locomotives at our local shortline. Other things of mention are:
Engineers rule books
EMD operating manual for their "new" E-8's
Santa Fe water carton (looks like a little milk carton)
metal lock tags for boxcars
Several freight and baggage tags
Cupholder from a Santa Fe caboose with paper cups
Pullman Company blanket
And my personal favorite is a Pullman Co. disposable cup in the original envelope it came in.
Sorry, no pics
Steve

Jim Cullen

May 24, 2003
Martinsburg, West Virginia, USA
I use to collect and trade railroad "date nails". The were metal (steel, iron, copper, aluminum) nails that some railroads use to hammer into the ties (usually top) when the tie was laid. The head of nail had the two digit year on it. It was to help the railroad know how long ties lasted in service. Jim

P

philip

train order semaphore

I have an old train order semaphore from the Illinois Central. The thing is in terrible shape and is missing both blades. Its currently on my to- do list but I still haven't got the motivation to start the restoration. One day hopefully!

philip:(