Railfanning

Strthoky

Today me and the family decided to make a day of rail fanning....

It started with a train ride on the Michigan Transportation Museums Alco Switcher... were we caught some unusual pictures... of course the train ride cuts through an Air National Gaurd base... huh since I am military looks like I am gonna have to go on base for more pictures:D :D :D :D

then we went to check out CN's port huron yard.. which was really dead.. must be the holiday weekend... so we stopped by the Amtrack station and stumbled upon the great history beneath us... literally... I found a way back towards the Saint Clair tunnel.. hmm the only no trespassing sign I seen the whole time was INSIDE the tunnel... and I only seen that one with my camera zoom ;) I did catch the original tunnel and the new one in the same picture..

In all I think I got some GREAT shots!! Everything form MOW to Tunnels and Bridges!! Best part was the wife had a blast!! She even wanted to cross the bridge to see the Sarnia yard... because she heard it was the "Real Deal" :p well enough blabbing heres some pics!!!

Attachments

• imgp0746.jpg
    imgp0746.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 205

Strthoky

In the previous picture you can see the old tunnel in the back ground...

here is a drawbridge that is no longer used.. :(

Attachments

• imgp0796.jpg
    imgp0796.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 171

Strthoky

A caboose!! something most model R.R's my age never really had the luxury of seeing.. :(

Attachments

• imgp0783.jpg
    imgp0783.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 165

Strthoky

And of course some more history..... to all who maay be interested there is a book on his life that has quite a few passages on his rail road experience ;)

Attachments

• imgp0800.jpg
    imgp0800.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 168

Strthoky

ahhh history :D it is hard to believe that this is the actual building Edison got his rail road start from... this is now a nice museum

I also have a few picture of the Mt. Clemens Depot where he saved a young mans life... the young mans father ran the depot and thanked Edison by giving him a job... The Depot in Mt. Clemens is also a museum and I was told that Steam ran on the Mt. Clemens Subdivision untill the mid 60's!!

Attachments

• imgp0806.jpg
    imgp0806.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 161

Strthoky

and some MOW equipment. I dunno why I bumped into this in the middle of july... but hey it is Michigan:rolleyes:

Attachments

• imgp0792.jpg
    imgp0792.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 148

CN1

Would you happen to know the specifics of that [aero]engine?

Is it a centrifugal or axial flow engine? Too small and wide to be a J85.

Oh well!

Thanks great pictures again.

rcwatkins

Nice railfannning pics.

Does your baby want to drive. I was in the drivers seat with my dad when I was 2. He got a ticket.

NS/PCfan

Hey Strthoky, nice pics on the tunnel and the museum. Since you live in the same state as me, you gotta check out the depot in Durand, lots of history with it and inside it too. Also there is cabooses in Lapeer, three as a matter of fact. Plus the Steam Railroad Institute just opened up its new building in Owosso. Whatever you do, don't check out the freight yards in Detroit, I happen to get kicked out of Livernois yard along with my Dad and my uncle.

Brian
Local Michigan railfan