Railfanning in New Orleans

nolatron

Nov 17, 2004
Katy, TX
railroad.sodh.net
Today I had some spare time before work so I took a drive over to the nearby KCS yard for my first railfanning venture. Found some interesting stuff back there, lots of intermodal cars back there. They have a passengar car refurb "depot" back there I think and had some nice old looking cars. Amtrak and a couple New York Central cars. There was guy sitting some white suburban nearby so I was afraid to stop and look 'nosey', heh.

Of course, just as I turn my camera on the battery dies. So snapped 3 pics with my camera phone, hence the poor quality, before heading to work.

[PICS REMOVED, BETTER ONES BELOW]

Tomorrow we get off work at Noon for Mardi Gras holidays so I'll probably take a drive over to the Central Ave. mainline. Usually pretty busy intersection with traffic passing through and coming off the Huey P Long Bridge. I'll be sure to charge the camera battery tonight too
biggrin.gif

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
Interesting indeed..I wonder what those passenger cars are for? I hate to find things setting in a yard and I have no idee whats going on..Yeah,gotta watch those suburban vehichles..Thats usually what the railroads use for supervisors and of course the cinder dicks(RR Police/Special Agent).
My kids got me a digi cam for my birthday..Now I just need to learn how to use the fool thing as its got more settings then my trusty 35mm camera. :eek:

nolatron

Nov 17, 2004
Katy, TX
railroad.sodh.net
Today I went back out after work and snapped some better pics of them cars. Also went and hung out around Central Ave for a little while. Caught am Amtrak passing through and a CN doing some work at the nearby Illinois Central yard.

Stopped at a crossing on the Metairie Main but didn't catch anything today.

IMG_5959.sized.jpg

IMG_5949.sized.jpg

You can find all the pics here:

http://gallery.mytrains.org/020405

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
"Yeah,gotta watch those suburban vehichles..Thats usually what the railroads use for supervisors and of course the cinder dicks(RR Police/Special Agent)."

Even now, you show up, coat and tie, hard hat, and a clipboard........not many people are going to bother you. :)

nolatron

Nov 17, 2004
Katy, TX
railroad.sodh.net
(I'm just gonna use this thread as my railfanning 'journal' if yall don't mind
biggrin.gif
)

Another good day for pics. Today I went to Bay St. Louis, MS to help work at my g/f's mom's bakery....which just so happens to be 50 yards from the CSX mainline crossing the bay.

Eastbound traffic is FLYING through as they begin to brake for crossing the bay and entering city area across the bay (pic #1).

Traffic westbound passes as a reasonable speed but you can tell they really pick up the pace after getting back on land shortly. (pic #2)

Got a CSX mixed heading east and an intermodal heading west, both with a UP loco attached.

Got two short videos as well.

And for you broadband folks, check out the "switch cam" video (10mb or so). I propped my Digicam up against the nearby switch and flipped on movie mode. Got some cool video as a UP train passed practically overhead. (Pic #3)

Will have to do that again next time I'm there :)http://gallery.ortolano.org/rrfan-bsl020705

http://gallery.mytrains.org/020705

IMG_6034_001.jpg

IMG_6048_001.jpg

MVI_6060.jpg

nolatron

Nov 17, 2004
Katy, TX
railroad.sodh.net
Today at lunch I hit Central Avenue again and caught a UP coming off the Huey P Long bridge over the Mississippi River. The UP yard is just on the other side of the bridge. It was stopped at a light waiting for the all clear.

Not sure the type of Loco though. SD70/80/90?

briefly caught the 2pm passing of the Amtrak leaving town too.

http://gallery.mytrains.org/021005

IMG_6107.sized.jpg

IMG_6105.sized.jpg

nolatron

Nov 17, 2004
Katy, TX
railroad.sodh.net
Man, did I hit the jackpot today.

I was heading from an errand and thought I make a wee detour and hit Central Ave. again. Just as I pull up, a BNSF is making it's way off the Huey P Long brudge. yay! I'm snapping some pics as it rounds the turn, and suddenly the crossing gates start going off. I'm thinking the train way too far to signal the gates.

I turn around and BAM, a UP is rounding the curve making it's way toward the bridge, heading to the UP yard. (UP & BNSF's yard is over the MS River via the Huey P. Long).

The BNSF makes a stop as the UP passes... for some great pics and just an awesome site. Once passes, the BNSF throttles up and heads on it's way.

I have to say, standing 30-40 feet from a 4 loco consist as it powers up is an experience all on it's own. Talk about a rumbling... and them things can realy pick up the pace, eh.

So the BNSF heads on it's way and so do I. But just as I'm making my way over the far crossing, I spot ANOTHER UP heading on by the other line. I park and get the camera ready.

Man, talking about perfect timing today though. To bad it was already 5:30 and the sun was heading down. A great way to end a Saturday for sure!

Sorry for the long story, but here are some sneak pics, and will all of today's here:http://gallery.ortolano.org/rrfan-021905

http://gallery.mytrains.org/021905

IMG_6166.sized.jpg

I love this one cause you can see the engineer's silhouet through the window:
IMG_6170.sized.jpg

IMG_6185.sized.jpg

IMG_6191.sized.jpg

And the 3rd train I just caught as I was leaving:
IMG_6203.sized.jpg

cabdriver

Jan 23, 2005
Wow ! Great photos. I love to see the UP's and BNSF's -- just what I am modeling. You were able to get really close to those diesels -- must have really rumbled. I agree with you -- the picture with the silhouet is awesome -- sometimes I spend so much time working with models that I forget someone actually controls these giants! It would sure be fun to do for a couple of days!

nolatron

Nov 17, 2004
Katy, TX
railroad.sodh.net
I'm liking. Gives me a reason to get out for a little bit for a lunch break at work or on the weekends, and also to put this digital camera to use besides for vacations :)

I'm not really familar with the area around the CSX and NS yards. I literally got lost when I found a street along the CSX yard. Luckily I found a sign leading back to the interstate, lol. I'll try another weekend to find some other spots on the yard where there's no trees on that street, and get my GPS up and running again. Security around the CSX and NS yards I read on a site is pretty high because of the neighborhoods they are in, so I don't wanna get to close to draw any attention.

Eventually I'll head over the MS River to try and find the BNSF and UP yards where that bridge leads too.

nolatron

Nov 17, 2004
Katy, TX
railroad.sodh.net
Needed a break today so I grabbed lunch and just went and sat at my usual Metairie Main spot. Caught a UP Intermodal heading out east bound.

IMG_6266.sized.jpg

One thing I like about the Metairie line is is runs right smack in the middle of a suburban neighborhood. So trains are passing through here around at 20mph. Gives you a chance to take some good photos and the trains aren't flying by like a blur.

Train horns aren't allowed either so you don't have to worry about going deaf either. I found a nice little spot I can pull up to, and just sit in my car right off the tracks. All of these pics today I sat with my driver door open and just snapped away :)

http://gallery.mytrains.org/022105
http://gallery.ortolano.org/rrfan-022105/IMG_6268?full=1

cabdriver

Jan 23, 2005
Nolatron,
This is a great picture for prototyping a rail line. Look at the ground cover around the rails -- that is certainly something you could model! I love to see the UP running!

cabdriver

Jan 23, 2005
You and one of my sons have inspired me to get out railranning soon. My second son came home today and told me that he saw a BNSF and a Santa Fe (new silver and red) crossing nearby. I'm going to the UP yards this weekend to see what I can see. If I get as lucky as you, I'll post some pictures this weekend. Great photos!

nolatron

Nov 17, 2004
Katy, TX
railroad.sodh.net
Glad to hear it! Visiting a yard is sure fire way to grab some photos. There's always some action going on it seems.

At lunch today I saw another UP again passing through Metarie but my camera battery died just has it started moving through. Oops. Double UP with a NS.

I hope to hit the UP/BNSF Avondale yard again eventually when I have a free weekend. Sits right next to a two lane highway, so plenty of spots I can just pull over and watch.