Railfan: North Platte/Cody Park, NE

mentor63

Jan 29, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
I just returned from a trip to North Platte, NE, to see the new Golden Spike Tower and Bailey Yard, but I also spent some time at the nearby Cody Park in North Platte. It is a nice park for family get-togethers (barbeque, grass, baseball, trees, etc.), but for railfans the attraction is the UP area. They have both a Challenger and a DD40X on display and they are both beautifully restored and available to checkout and photograph up close. I will attach a few of the many photos I took and hope you enjoy them. The first 3 photos are of the Challenger 3977 (that firebox is huge!), the forth is the DD40X 6922, the 5th is a close up of a standpipe by the locos (I am always looking for details for my layout) and the 6th is of the Bailey Yard Inspection Pit and Sanding area.

Gary

Attachments

• NorthPlatte Chall3977.jpg
    NorthPlatte Chall3977.jpg
    165.2 KB · Views: 10
  • NorthPlatte Cab3977.jpg
    NorthPlatte Cab3977.jpg
    181.3 KB · Views: 7
  • NorthPlatte 3977Firebox.jpg
    NorthPlatte 3977Firebox.jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 7
  • NorthPlatte DD40X.jpg
    NorthPlatte DD40X.jpg
    160.3 KB · Views: 8
  • NorthPlatte WaterStandpipe.jpg
    NorthPlatte WaterStandpipe.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 6
  • NorthPlatte InspPitSand.jpg
    NorthPlatte InspPitSand.jpg
    197.8 KB · Views: 10

steamhead

Apr 16, 2005
Brownsville, TX
Boy...!!! That's gotta be one of the most beautiful steamers ever..!!! Is it restored to working condition - or just for display..?? Is that a coal burner..? How did they ever keep that firebox "fed"...It's like a cavern in there..!!! :eek:

Great pictures...Thanks for sharing...:thumb:

ScratchyAngel

Mar 25, 2008
Pullman, WA
Nice, but you might want to move these or any others to the right forum, since they aren't specific to scale, but are the real thing. So maybe Real Thing USA?

Triplex

Aug 24, 2005
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Boy...!!! That's gotta be one of the most beautiful steamers ever..!!!
And certainly one of the most impressive to find on a passenger train.
Is it restored to working condition - or just for display..??
Only 3985 runs. IIRC, 3977 is the only other Challenger surviving; no non-UP Challengers remain.
Is that a coal burner..?
I'm not sure. The Challengers were built coal-fired, but a number were converted to oil-firing. 3977 was one that was oil-fired, at least while it wore gray. Some Challengers were converted back to coal, though.
How did they ever keep that firebox "fed"...It's like a cavern in there..!!!
They couldn't build steam that big until the mechanical stoker arrived.