Rail-Fanning in Huntsville

RobertInOntario

Mar 22, 2006
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Last Saturday, my youngest son and I were able to visit the Huntsville and Lake of Bays Railway (www.portageflyer.org), a small, narrow-gauge heritage railway in Huntsville, where 35 of us attended a special rail-fan day. (Huntsville is in Muskoka, about 2.5 hours north of Toronto by car.)

It was great riding behind their diesel, seeing an 0-4-0 under repair in the engine shed, but the best treat of all was watching, photographing and riding on an oil-fired 0-4-0 for several hours.

This is a great railway to visit, especially during the summer when they run their steam engine more often.

Here are a few pics.

Rob
(www.portageflyer.org)
IMG_0121.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0077.jpg

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

N

nachoman

Doesn't that place have a real odd gauge - 40" or something like that?

Kevin

Squidbait

Recovering ALCO-holic
Jan 27, 2007
Paris, ON
Doesn't that place have a real odd gauge - 40" or something like that?

Kevin

It's not that odd. It's called "Colonial Gauge" or "Cape Gauge". Many railroads in British colonial territories were built to it (Canada, Africa and Australia) and other countries as well (Norway, Japan, Indonesia).

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
For interest, On42 will run on S gauge track.
42" was also the gauge of the Toronto & Nipissing and the Toronto Grey & Bruce, at least for their first decade. (see Rod Clarke's book)
I'm not sure if the biggest current system is the East Broad Top or the San Francisco cable cars.
edit: EBT is 36" gauge (see below).

Squidbait

Recovering ALCO-holic
Jan 27, 2007
Paris, ON
David,

I think there's an unfinished thought there... are you trying to say the largest 42" gauge operating line? Or largest narrow gauge operating line?

EBT is 3' gauge. They only operate on about 5 miles of an originally 33 mainline-mile railroad. The White Pass and Yukon operates over more trackage, and was a bigger RR when fully operational. The Cumbres & Toltec operates over 60 miles of 3' gauge RR as well.