Rail dimensions

Didy_Tz

Hi all :wave:
I am new on this forum and also new in modeling... I was searching internet for modeling informations and i decided to make my own HO model. Also i decided that i will create rails by myself (i have some people that profesionaly work with metal...).

I drow picture of the one rail ,so please could anyone edit this picture with dimensions of its parts.(high, widht eventualy lenght...). I found few days ago similar picture on the internet but now i can't finde it. :(

sorry for my language
and tnx in advance

Attachments

• rp-15_1m.GIF
    rp-15_1m.GIF
    2.8 KB · Views: 121

kjd

the measurements change from one rail size to another. What size are you trying to make?
Weightin pounds/yard: height in inches
72: 4-3/4"
85: 5-3/16"
90: 5-17/64"
100: 6"
112: 6-5/8"
115: 6-5/8"

130:
150:

Didy_Tz

Tnx for your answer.
But i still don't understand thoes mesures. what are all those numbers , specialy first (like 72:...?)
And i want to make model in HO scale (if this was your question about what size of railroad do i want to make)

jetrock

The numbers (like 72) refer to pounds per yard, a common unit of rail measurement. The number after the colon (like 4-3/4") is the height (from top to bottom) of the height of the rail in inches, based on its weight. All of these are real-world measurements.

Not all railroad rail is the same size, or the same shape--older railroads used lighter rail, while modern rail is generally heavier. The shape of rail could vary, based on when and where the railroad ran.

Question: Model railroad rail is available from several manufacturers, in several sizes, very cheaply. Why bother making it yourself?

ezdays

Out AZ way
Didy_Tz said:
Hi all :wave:
I am new on this forum and also new in modeling... I was searching internet for modeling informations and i decided to make my own HO model. Also i decided that i will create rails by myself (i have some people that profesionaly work with metal...).
Welcome to the Gauge.

If you are new to modeling, I really think you've got enough new stuff to be concerned about other than making your own rails from scratch and then hand laying them. As Jetrock points out, there is no way that you can economically justify the time and expense to tool up for that. I'd start out a step at a time using pre-made turnouts and flex track (about a dollar a foot for rails and ties). Once you've got a better idea of how things are done and what areas of the hobby you like to do best, join a lot of others that hand lay their track using factory made components, if that is still appealing. You're really not going to know until you've spent some time making your layout.

Pooh Bah
NMRA standards for rails

Didy:
Look for the NMRA (National Model railroad Association) web site and look for Standards and Recommended Practices.
All this information (and your diagram) should be there under RP 15.1.
Look Here.

Woodie

Didy_Tz,

You say your are modeling in HO. Even within this scale, there are different track sizes in use. "Code 100" & "Code 83" and "Code 75" . That means that there are different sized rails in use by the modellers and track manufacturers.

As others have suggested, I do not know ANYONE that makes their own rails, nor any that would even suggest the concept. They may buy the rails, and then lay the track themselves, but even this is quite rare, and usually done by the real die-hard modellers. Some (ever rarer) make their own turnouts!!

To get your trains to run smoothly and without derailments, there are some very fine tolerances used, and if these are even just the teeensiest bit out, you'll get deraliments. And continual derailments are NOT fun. Initally, I'd go with the premade track, and then make a decision for handlaid or handmade track later.

Didy_Tz

Tnx for sugestions , i decidet now to buy finished rails... but can anyone give me addresses of on-line hobby shops from central europe?