Radius question

Kevinkrey

Jul 27, 2006
Saint Paul MN.
I thought it would be easier to ask than look it up in a different thread. Does anybody have any radius suggestions for an SD45T-2. Well the long loco is not the problem but the taconite cars I have. They take turns Ok and stay coupled but not to the loco. I bought new long shank couplers but I have not used them because I have not started laying track on the new layout. But I want to resolve issues before they arise. I have large enough flex track curves but I need tighter curves in one area, I have about 4' 4" for a half circle turn. What is a good radius? Possibly largest able to fit?

Kevinkrey

Jul 27, 2006
Saint Paul MN.
Hey, quit stalking me, just kidding. Hehehe. I have room for 24" radius but not sure if that will work. I'm really racking uo the posts tonight.:cool:

IandOFan71

Mar 20, 2007
Groveport, Ohio
I would like to help but first I would like to know exactly what is happening. Is the SD pulling the taconite cars off the rails around the curve? And do you use horn hook or knuckle couplers? And what radius are you using now? Let me know and I'll see what I can offer.

PWRR-2207

Rogue Islander
Oct 3, 2007
Rhode Island, USA
Curve swerve...

Possible test since I do not have a SD45T but do have a U36C with 6 wheel trucks - If you have some foam (at least 3/4" thick so the pins do not stick out) large enough to draw out a 24" radius curve, put 2 flex tracks together and pin them down with straight pins on the flex 24R arc you drew. Add a few straight pieces so you can get a couple cars on too and power the test track. Give it a try. I did this with my U36C after trying it on a 22" radius curve of Atlas snap-track because I did not feel comfortable with the performance at high speed.

PS: My U36C, F40 PH Diesel Phase II and a 4-8-0 Mountain worked fine on 22" radius but look and run better on the 24". In the end I added easements to the 24" radius curve I had to use so I could open and close the door near the lift-out/duck-under 'just in case'.