R2-D2 LIFESIZE BUILD

starbuck

Aug 15, 2013
Austria - Carinthia
Hi together.

Started R2-D2 lifesize build which is build out of 77 A4 pages. Started with the first 10 pages. Although the parts of the second ring seem to be all the same there are differences - check before assembling to be in line with ring 3.
First post for the first 10 pages - please see photos.
Diameter of body about 40 cm.
- It will take some time to finalize it - I assume.DSC_6032.jpg DSC_6033.jpg DSC_6034.jpg DSC_6035.jpg DSC_6037.jpg DSC_6038.jpg

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
Jun 12, 2009
Oregon
www.deviantart.com
It looks like you are off to a REALLY GOOD START!
I will be following this thread.
I am looking forward to seeing how this turns out!!!

Patron_zero

May 5, 2008
Very cool, I scored one of the Pepsi promotional R2D2 'coolers' that were in all the convenience stores back then. Like all of such that survived the 'dome' was crap so your project might be inspiration on an easy fix.

Octoman

Nov 15, 2013
Cleveland, Ohio
I might have to give this a try! I've also got one of those Pepsi coolers. There was a crack in the dome that I mended with clear packing tape and it looks pretty good. The cooler is way out of scale with the real robot, though... I've always wanted to do a full size mock up and this effort looks REALLY good so far. Can't wait to see it finished.
Keep up the good work!

Best,

Ian

starbuck

Aug 15, 2013
Austria - Carinthia
Hi to all,
back again, but, I will stop this project (forever or for the moment - I don´t know). Why? Huuh, not an easy question. I don´t know exactly. Too much paper, too much space when finished.......If I will finalize I will start a new threat. Sorry for the moment. :(

For those who are interested in: google for r2d2 full size noturno.

Best regards

Reactions: Revell-Fan

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
I'm sorry to hear this, but I appreciate it very much that you tell us that this thread is not continued for the time being. I know of a few threads which have been started but abandoned before the build was complete. It is a pity when that happens but I do understand that there are a lot of reasons leading to the decision to do so (bad health conditions, fading interest in the hobby, the well-known bumps in the road of life).

I hope that you will find some time and space some day to continue this thread. Please take your time. But if you do so, you don't need to start a new thread. Just continue this one, so we'll have everything in one place. I too have some older threads which I return to as soon as I am in the mood for it and as soon as time allows. The next one I will revive is the Viper Mk I. thread. (I hope to see you there! ;) )

Looking forward to your next builds! :)

Regards

RF

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
I think this model needs work. Some of the dome features should have been done with conical rather than petal shapes. Also, not radius should have "sides" to it. It is a weakness in the design problem that uses polygons to form the radii. Not the builders fault, but the designers. I had a feeling you would not see it through. A lot of ink and paper for a model your not sure about. Ann understandable decision on your part. :)