R-T-R is one thing, but..???

Mike R

Jan 18, 2002
Meaford Ontario Canada
Visit site
R-T-R is one thing, but can anyone figure the megabucks Rivarossi is spending on advertising [Dec MR]:
-full color ads for "trainset quality" cars with talgo trucks & horn hook couplers.
-full color ads for plastic steam locomotives with either horn hook couplers or European hook-and-eye thingies?
Is there really still a market for what looks like repackaged 60's AHM stuff, but with 2002 pricing ??
I know there are a lot of modelers willing to buy into today's 'high-end' R-T-R stuff, $35 boxcars, etc. but who would be going for the Rivarossi?

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Oct 15, 2002
Drexel Hill, PA
www.trainweb.org
I am glad some one else noticed this.

I thought it strange to charge between 9.00 and 12.00 for frieght cars with hook and horn truck mounted couplers. Granted the cars look nice but why would I buy yesterday's technology? And spend a lot of time convert these puppies to Kadees.

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
I do not understand the reason behind these cars. I suppose like jon-monon said and I agree they must be targeted toward the entry level modelers. I can see great harm to the hobby by Rivarossi from the trouble these cars will give the new modeler. :(

I can not understand why they did not improve these cars.Even when these cars was made by AHM years ago very few modelers would buy them and those that did would rebuild them...I rebult 3 of the AHM boxcars years ago and no way would I do that today. A deep sigh.

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
Far as I know AHM(Associated Hobby Mfgs.)never manufactured anything. They were the US distributor for Riviarossi and some other European mfgs. that made N. American prototype models as well as a few USA mfgs. The Rivarossi locos( and other products) were re-packaged/packaged under the AHM name. They offered me a job once as a sales rep but their comissions were just too low eek: I think they are still in business under the name International Hobbies (IHC).

Just another "dribble" from The Robber Barron's Vault of Useless Knowledge:D