R/C Red Hawk Project into F16 Card Model

Discussion in 'Radio Control & Other Propulsion Methods' started by mbauer, Apr 8, 2007.

1. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Cool! Can't wait for the flight report. Does your camera do video? (Hint, hint) :)

Rick
  2. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

***runs out to buy red hawk plane to smash it up***

:)
  3. Billy Leliveld

Billy Leliveld Member

This is cool!, I'm trying to make a model fly in another way, but I realy like this 'next' step..
    Cheers Billy
  4. Mark_1984

Mark_1984 Guest

Looking forward to seeing it fly. Have you flown RC before? If not it may be worth gettting an experienced RC'er to give it a test flight - it doesn't look quite as docile as the original.

I used to break RC planes as a hobby in my younger days :oops:

Good luck with the flight
  5. mbauer

mbauer Cardstock Model designer

Tough ole CardStock

Thank You for wishing this project luck!

Camera does video but, real poor quality. My job will be to launch and then take the stills. A couple of friends volunteered to watch it fly with their video cameras.

This model is adapted from an old model I used to sell on eBay. It was completely redrawn and now it has electric power. 4-previous trys at RC have taught groups of what not to do! KISS really works, and is lighter usually!

BTW-I don't fly RC, I plan to learn though (SR71 Training jet with retracts-68" long 40 ounce w28 ounce thrust). Card is very forgiving when it crashes!

Mike
  6. mbauer

PHASE II Electrics/Weight & Balance

Electrics are not as easy as first thought.

I planned this whole project around using the factory components. Well, the measurements were taken and the model produced. When the battery and servos fit their respective "trays", the battle was over, right?

Well, getting them into where they're supposed to fit in the fuselage should have been a foremost thought in my feeble brain. Sure, they fit now, but getting to them is impossible if a wire comes loose.

Another problem is the weight: real tail heavy, looks like at the very least .9 ounce weight will be used as a balance weight, Location will be in the nosecone. Battery has been moved as far forward as possible!

Photos show what looks to be easy construction: Add some wire between the cut ends and charge the battery. The fit will give you fits...(lot better way of saying what happened next)

Attached Files:

7. mbauer

Motor & Control Horn!

Motor Wiring in place, Control Horns mounted with pull cables attached (25-lb fishing line is too stiff-should have used 20lb)

Velcro placed on the slide on motor mount should hold it in place for flight!

Will relocate battery to inside nosecone once the battery finishes charging.

Still might make a first flight today. I do have phtographers /videoers on stand by!

Antena is so long that it will wrap around the prop if not careful!
  8. mbauer

Servos/Receiver and Really Short Wire Location

Location of Receiver and Servos!

Now where did that 8-y/o go? Come here son and help daddy hook up that small plug that is loose!!!!
  9. mbauer

Electrics Work!

Battery Relocation Worked! Notice the Red Blurr Around the moving Propeller!

Ready to Fly Weight after Everything is done = 16.5 ounce! Original Red Hawk Box said 16.9 ounce. So, slight weight change to the good!

Next step is to check with camera/video team to see if they can still make it for flight tests this afternoon! Only 430pm right now!

Mike

BTW-Nothing like an idiot! Shortly after this photo, designer decided to see what full throttle would do...Bend the nosecone, warp the rudder and make really bad sounds when prop hit box after leaping from box to floor! Lots of power! Almost forgot to mention that SR71 was knocked over which hit the F16 standing vertically which nailed the F104 that you can't see. Yep, felt real good standing there with the controller!

Attached Files:

10. Prowler901

Prowler901 Member

So, I guess that means no first flight today... ;)

Seriously though... that stinks. Hopefully not much damage was done. Looking forward to seeing this baby in the air.
  11. Prowler901

Prowler901 Member

So, I guess that means no first flight today... ;)

Seriously though... that stinks. Hopefully not much damage was done. Looking forward to seeing this baby in the air.
  12. mbauer

Bent Nose Photos

The nosecone is replacable. All I had to do was pull it back into the straight position. It is still bent, but it'll fly!

Notice that there is other damge (crinkles) to the nose other than where I rebent it. All I want is a good first flight, after that the new owner can replace them as he sees fit. I'm on to other projects (1 to 1 SR71 and V1 BzzBmb)

First flight might have to wait until next weekend, nobody can video until Wed. nite, new owner is gone until then as well so, I'm hoping for a Wed., but still might be Sat.

Mike

Attached Files:

13. paul a

paul a Member

great job can,t wait to see your next project.
  14. paul a

paul a Member

great job can,t wait to see your next project.
  15. mbauer

5lb (2.27kg) Test

5lb barbell (2.27kg) test.

Not very scientific but here is what the model looks like supported by a plastic glass and 5lbs of barbell holding it to the plastic.

No damage done!

Weather here is kind-of cloudy, forecast isn't good. One thing about paper airplanes and humidity; they don't mix! Will wait till tomorrow to see if first flight is possible.

Attached Files:

16. mbauer

Weight/Balance Image

No Flight Yet. Will try later this week. Everyone decided to go get some more snowmachining done. Mountains got a little more snow in places last week.

Weight/Balance image showing F16 hanging from door jamb with balance weight on canopy top-Ouch! Using some fishing line that is taped to the top of a door jamb. Model hangs fairly evenly from wingtip to wingtip!

Total model weight ready to fly is over what the old Red Hawk was. 17.25 Ounce total/Red Hawk 16.9 Ounce

Attached Files:

17. paul a

paul a Member

nice balance infact perfect. really nice job can,t wait for the flight video.the weight should not be a problem only in takeoff.
  18. paul a

paul a Member

nice balance infact perfect. really nice job can,t wait for the flight video.the weight should not be a problem only in takeoff.
  19. paul a

paul a Member

5 lbs weight on wings weight bag on canopy one STRONGLY BUILT AIRCRAFT you have there.
  20. paul a

paul a Member

5 lbs weight on wings weight bag on canopy one STRONGLY BUILT AIRCRAFT you have there.