Quinn Ball Bearing

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
This photo show a side I haven't shown before, I think. It shows the freight elevator and shed I just built and the end of another building I had built for a previous layout. On that layout, this end wasn't visable. In fact a track was under the larger cutout and a switch machine under the smaller one. I intend to use cinder block sheet on these walls for some variety (and because I doubt I could match the brick color!) There will be what ought to be an interesting little courtyard there.

Attachments

• P1010613jpg..jpg
    P1010613jpg..jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 155

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
This is just a head on view of this side of the building from the center aisle. The building basically serves as a viewblock, in much the same manner as a backdrop.

Attachments

• P1010614jpg..jpg
    P1010614jpg..jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 147

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
One final shot of the other end. I used a telephoto setting to get this shot, the building is 5 feet from the aisle I was standing in. This is one deep scene!

Attachments

• P1010615jpg..jpg
    P1010615jpg..jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 155

RailRon

Nov 23, 2002
Trimbach, Switzerland
Gary, this is really a very impressive factory! Thanks to the different additions and materials used it looks very natural, because most big factories are adding new portions to the original main building.

Great work! :thumb:

Ron

cyb0rg

Jan 1, 2005
thumbsup.gif
thumbsup.gif
thumbsup.gif
thumbsup.gif

Great looking building, Gary!

That fire escape is really eye-catching and shows great attention to detail. I have a suggestion for your clock trim: have you thought about a rubber or plastic o-ring? You should be able to find something in that size, though I'm not sure what kind of thickness you have in mind.

You expressed some concern over the two styles of roofing. I think it gives the building character, and adds visual interest. Maybe it wasn't a successful fiscal year, and it wasn't in the company budget to replace the ailing roof. The same can be said for architectural styles. Rarely do you see any type of additional building on a factory be the same type as the original.

Keep up the great work!

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
Time for another update. I'm ready to paint the truck loading dock addition. I used board and batten siding which I'll paint depot buff, and passenger car siding for the doors, which will be the same green as the trim on the main bldg. The bottom under the doors will be concrete.

Attachments

• P1010624jpg..jpg
    P1010624jpg..jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 135

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
On the other side, I'm playing around with the dock and the beam for unloading the flatcars which will bring in steel rod. I pulled up the rail because it was on a slight grade and I wanted to sand it level. I'm going to take advantage of having to relay the rail to add photo etched tie plates. Not sure how I'm going to glue them to the ties in a straight enough line to lay the rail on, have to give it some thought. Picture also shows the copper gutters I added, and downspouts.

Attachments

• P1010626jpg..jpg
    P1010626jpg..jpg
    53 KB · Views: 130

belg

Apr 28, 2001
New Jersey USA
Visit site
Gary I think details like your unloading crane will really add some more interest to the eye. I don't know ,what are ties plates used for?? On the rails to join them together??? Thanks Pat