Quickie Question

OnTrack

Sep 24, 2006
Amelia, ohio
I have a few of these laying around with all the original parts for each (got them from a buddy of mine), and the black part the actual machine that swtiches the track is detachable, is there any way i could mount these under the table the same way you would using the tortoise motor system?

Attachments

• 850.gif
    850.gif
    24.7 KB · Views: 139

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
I have an article on this from MR about 20 years ago I'll see if I can dig up. Essentially, you remove the switch motor, then bend the actuator rod down 90 degrees. Drill a small hole in the center of the throw bar then attach the switch motor to the turnout from underneath, running the actuator rod thru the hole in the throw bar. When you set the switch in the roadbed, cut out the cork and subroad bed to clear it.

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
The rod that sticks out of the end of the switch machine cannot be bent - it is plastic and will probably snap, or at least be very weak. You might be able to cut of the end and drill a hole for a wire that would run up to the turnout.

However, I believe that you can buy the appropriate part from Atlas that will convert it from on-table to under-table.

If you don't want to do that, you can mount the switch motor directly to the bottom of the ties of the turnout and cut a space in the roadbed. Just be very careful when ballasting that you don't fill the switch motor with glue...!

Andrew

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
MasonJar said:
The rod that sticks out of the end of the switch machine cannot be bent - it is plastic and will probably snap, or at least be very weak.

Andrew

Tellin' my age widdat, ain't I? Back in my day they was made o' wire...:thumb:

OnTrack

Sep 24, 2006
Amelia, ohio
Well it works, you heat the plastic piece just a little flex it to the shape you want in my case a 90 degree, and let it cool for a sec, works like a charm.