Quick question about a crossing

Mrplow123

Jul 14, 2006
Hayward California
In my new track plan idea I was thinking of having the end of my yard ladder, which is just a singgle track, cross the main line at a 90 degree angle. It will only cross at one point, and it was an idea I had to connect my container yard to my main yard and turntable on the other side of the layout. I am just not sure if it is a good or bad idea to have a yard spur cross a main line. I know it would add a little more difficulty and excitment to running trains, but i just don't think it is very prototypical. Let me know what you guys think. It was just an idea

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Apr 14, 2006
Rancho Santa Margarita, Cali.
I have to admit, I have never seen and spurs that cross the mainline. This would make it so you would alwasy have to see if there is anything on the crossing before the train on the mainline gets to the crossing. A little to much for me but hey, if our up for it, I don't see any problems that would occur.

Now that I think of it, I think that this might look pretty cool. :thumb:

pgandw

Jul 9, 2005
I second what Josh said.

What might help is a plausible scenic reason why things had to be located on opposite sides of the main - a river , hill or mountain, or something similar. Is the container yard associated with a port? Lack of waterfront land might be a reason.