quick look # 53: Porco Rosso Ferry Boat Paper Model Design Rough Part-1

goodduck

Jul 25, 2010
https://youtu.be/TQL64L9hHu4

Get this idea in my head for years and I really love to have a model of that boat transporting Savoia S.21 fuselage and Porco. Think if I build a 3D model of it, and maybe from that I will actually make a paper model of the boat. It is in rough right now and I'm sure I will go through much more changes with the 3D before I actually print it out of paper. But, I got a 3d model now, is a good start ~ :D

Thank you very much for watching!
Do check out my other videos.
Please remember to click "like" on Youtube if you like it, comments and feedback are most welcome.

https://youtu.be/HAXuXVoWCcU

I know there must be a better, faster and cleaner way to build a model, but my ignorance in Rhino keep me doing everything in a hard way.

So... I need to scale it down a couple of knots, I should had used the same head in my Savoia .S21, its size was good don't know why I feel the need to make a new head. I would have got the size right if I did. Another thing ... I put glue tabs where I don't need them and no glue tabs where I needed them ~ XD Also, the coat collar should have two options. Wired...my 'quick look' looks like... not so quick...

Please remember to click "like" on Youtube if you like it, comments and feedback are most welcome.

I think his size looking better now but maybe I should make a bit taller.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Rhaven Blaack

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
I tried to merge your post with the boat tutorial but somehow lost it, sorry. :(

You have to make the hull frame set first. Work in 1/2 models longitudinally. That's an easy Hull to make. It's kind of an old Scottish Lug design, but scaled way up, with a rounded bow and stern. The pic below would work as a starting point, these boats are never flat bottomed, or they couldn't carry anything. You position the frame rails, draw the top line, and use "Control points to get the shape you want. You do the same thing with the former lines that make the shape of the Hull. I would feel impudent to ask you if you wanted me to show you, I am sure you can do it. ;)

Cut this drawing in half, and use the front section for the rear, disregard the tiller. The main boat section is what you want. The bow is easy enough to reform.

This pic would give a great start, it would have to be tweaked. Let me know if you want a Render of what I am thinking, and I will send you the .3dm file. One thing I can do is I can loft hulls. :)For Allen.jpg

Some samples (I could send you these files too). Very close to what you are doing. :)

her-4-jpg.116947
her-7-jpg.116979

goodduck

Jul 25, 2010
Oh, hey... a plan! I should have gone online and look for one... I was wondering what kind of boat that was.

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
That boat your Rendering is a 1930's Adriatic Tramp Steamer. The Hull was very similar to a tugboat of the era, but lengthened, and the waterline increased to increase speed. This is a displacement boat. The waterline is crucial, as the speed of the boat is determined by it. As a very general rule the maximum speed of any displacement hull--commonly called its hull speed--is governed by a simple formula: hull speed in knots equals 1.34 times the square root of the waterline length in feet (HS = 1.34 x √LWL) . This is why your hull doesn't seem right. The top part looks great, and you're better going with longitudinal lines, than vertical ones.

I would start with this plan, as it is easily changed to suit your needs. I'll try and post a Render for you, if you wish. Just mental talk.Use the Front/Back view. The numbers show their location on the side view. Disregard the curve lines, they are for visualization of a 3D hull in 2D, not for lofting. The right side is the fron, the left side is the back of the boat. You can see how this plan can be easily manipulated. ;)

Loft.jpg

goodduck

Jul 25, 2010
I don't like the shape of this plan at all, I'm going for visual interest so I like the 1st plan much better. Your 3d model looks really nice also, that hull looks like is usable to me but I would make it shorter. Please send me the file and let me take a look. Thank you.

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
The plan above is more suitable, but I will send you the Hermes file. It has three prop tubes now as the original model did. Still, you can change it to whatever you wish. I'll send it to your email. ;)

bigpetr

Designer/Master Modeler
Jan 27, 2016
Czech Republic
Will it be possible to download or buy it? I am fun of Porco Rosso (and have Howl's Moving Castle paper model in my todo list also)

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
Glad you liked the file Allen. :)

@ Bigptr, you could bang a model out like this in no time flat. I should do a Hull Lofting tutorial for Rhino. I do it quite differently, and the way I do it allows for either a paper model, or for making templates to sculpt a very compound curved bow. When lofting a Hull, the picture below is always what you look for, you can adjust every aspect, but finding one close is the way to go. Understanding how displacement ships versus planing ships work is really important. The one Allen is designing has half again at least, or it's hull underwater.

The pic below shows the front profile curves on the right, and the back half on the left. The side view shows their location based on their numbers or letters. You can always add more to bring a shape in. Any other method will give you an approximation of the hull shape. This is fine for most of paper modeling, but for a real boat, even a rowboat, the consequences could be 100's of wasted hours. ;)

In the pic below the right side of the front/Back view is the front, the back, obviously by the curved flat stern. These is not so easily discerned by a double ended (canoe style ) boat, which is why the former lines are lettered, or numbered for reference. In Rhino, this shape would be done rather quickly. The curved lines on the side view are to give on a 2-D topographical 3-D view of the boat, they are not for making the planking, but can show you if you are in fact designing it right. This takes a bit more finesse.:)

Hull Lofting.jpg

bigpetr

Designer/Master Modeler
Jan 27, 2016
Czech Republic
You are right Zathros, but since somebody have done I could save that time. Time saved is time earned :). I have 3d modeled few ship hulls, so I learned to read this plans quite well. It would be great to see your way of lofting hulls.

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
I'll do a thread to show how I do it. ;)

Reactions: bigpetr