Quick Build - Rob's P-80

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by Bowdenja, Dec 20, 2005.

1. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

I knocked this out last night.

Not my best work but it was VERY fun to build and I will do a better job next time.

Just thought you guys would like to see ONE of the many versions you are getting.

john

Attached Files:

• p-80.jpg
      p-80.jpg
      File size:
      38.2 KB
      Views:
  2. 46rob

46rob Member

As far back as that stand sits, I'll bet you succumbed to the siren call of that little J-33 model you could install. Nice job -- just need to add the tip tanks. Little known fact--the P-80 actually performed better with the tanks on, rather than jettisoned. The tanks could be removed, btw and 1000 lb bombs substituted.
  3. hpept

hpept Member

wow!! did it take only one night to do it? Outstanding!!! The model looks really good, i just can't wait to build the italian t-33 version.
  4. Rick Thomson

Rick Thomson Member

Hi Rob,
    The T-Bag also performed better with the tanks, they generated lift and also acted as wing fences. Don't know if most know it, but the T-33 was also faster than the P-80.
  5. dwgannon

dwgannon Member

Bo,

Looks good. Can't wait to get my disk. But then I have so many things to do.
  6. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

The picture doesn't do it justice. The tip tanks are coming........I kinda have a problem with the petal-thingies, but practice makes perfect!

I didn't do the engine on this one Rob...that is for the next one. I wanted to make this one look like a Gate Guard and plan on putting it in the Library Display coming up.

You guys are going to have a blast with all of these versions!

Better pictures will come later after a trip to get some more batteries..... I think the battery companies are paying the camera companies to make the cameras burn up batteries faster...... I also don't believe in the Lone Gunman either :grin:

john
  7. furman

furman Member

Hey John,

I'm not a fan of the petal method either, but Rob's petals are somehow easier than most.

I built the free Santa Star T-33 and I wasn't even going to put the tanks on, but that plane looks naked without them so I decided to bite the bullet and slice up the petals. I was pleasantly surprised...no...amazed at how they went together. I curled the tank lengthwise over the edge of my workbench, then I curled the petals the same way and when I glued the cylinder, the petals were already perfectly formed! I just stuffed a little tissue in from the back, dabbed it with some glue and voila! perfect tip tanks.

Mt problem is getting the intakes symetrical, but with 40 versions on the way, I figure I'll eventually work that out.

Furman
  8. gera

gera Member

Looks good John..............

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year..........still waiting for you at the forum!!!!
    Take a look at the Step by step " Fleet 16D"

Gera
  9. Rick Thomson

Rick Thomson Member

Petals

<I curled the tank lengthwise over the edge of my workbench, then I curled the petals the same way and when I glued the cylinder, the petals were already perfectly formed! I just stuffed a little tissue in from the back, dabbed it with some glue and voila! perfect tip tanks.>

Now why didn't I ever think of that? I assume that you curled the petals at a 90° angle to the way the tank was done?
  10. Jim Krauzlis

Jim Krauzlis Active Member

Hi, everyone! :smile:

I ordered the CD and just realized...all of what you all are talking about is on that one little CD! The P-80 too!

All I can say is ...WOW!

Cheers!
    Jim
  11. furman

furman Member

[Now why didn't I ever think of that? I assume that you curled the petals at a 90° angle to the way the tank was done?]

yeah, that's exactly right, and you end up with a nice compound curve on the petals.
  12. 46rob

46rob Member

I drew it out and never came up with that either!
  13. dwgannon

dwgannon Member

Wow!!!! only three days to get the disk. Thanks Rob. I am looking at the Thunderbird model. I think I will do this over my Christmas Break.
  14. dwgannon

dwgannon Member

15. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Pretty good Dave! Glad to see you "back in the saddle...........again!"

I've still got to work on my tanks!

john