Quick and easy "filler" trees

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
I'm working on a stretch of shelf railroad where I have about 5" of space between the track and the backdrop. As is comonly done, I painted a tree line on the backdrop, then added lots of just trunks. Then I planteda row of trees, Woodland Scenic armatures with all teh branched bent front and side, so they could be placed against the backdrop. Smaller trees and some brush are placed in front of these to provide some hiding of the backdrop between trees. It is just about impossible (for me anyway) to achieve the intermingling of branches you see in real life, and hard to get the trees very close together as a result. So the smaller trees and brush are needed in such a narrow space. However, it seemed that I needed some filler between the tops of the trees too, as they were spaced to regularly and appeared to sparse. Here is a photo of the trees just sitting in place with just two smaller trees placed in front, while I was trying to see what I could do.

Attachments

• P1010876.jpg
    P1010876.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 7

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
I decided I could use wire to glue the clump foliage to to fill in the spaces up top. I stripped some 14 gauge Romex, cut a piece about 2" long, and then twisted some 20 gauge wire around it to form "branches" You could of course solder these together but I took the quicker way of super glueing them. Then painted and glued on foliage. Here is one done and a couple smaller ones waiting to be painted.

Attachments

• P1010879.jpg
    P1010879.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 8

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
Here I am holding it just above where it will go, I will epoxy it in place. The bottom will be out of site, and it doesn't interfere with the existing branches.

Attachments

• P1010877.jpg
    P1010877.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 5

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
Here's a closeup of the 420, it is really a nice model. I haven't yet added the railings as I need to first add the drop steps and I want to refer to a photo. The drop steps by the way come as two fiddly little parts allowing you to install in whatever position you want. Hence my desire to check some photos. Mine has sound, and I must say it is awesome. With no programming yet, even the address, I put it on the track, selected address 3, it sounds great. The headlights are dim till you turn the throttle one step, when you do so, the lights brighten, the engine gets louder, and the loco starts to move slowly. I've had to adjsut most locos to move on teh first speed step. Then again, this is my first factory installed sound loco in some time, it looks like they have got their stuff together.

Attachments

• P1010883.jpg
    P1010883.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 7

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
GREAT IDEA GARY!:thumb::thumb::thumb: YOUR treeline looks FANTASTIC!:thumb: ...NICE engine too!:winki::mrgreen: .
:deano: -Deano

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Gary,

Looks great, and I like the idea of the trees right against the backdrop.

But I have one question... why did you paint a whole bunch of trunks, but no tops, for your backdrop trees?

Andrew

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
Andrew, they were an afterthought. I first painted the horizon line as a forested hill in the distance, thinking only that I didn't want all sky behind the trees. It wasn't until I had some trees made and standing where they would go that I realized that the area below the lowest branches of the trees needed trunks of the more distant trees. I did in fact consider carving some stripwood, say 1/4" square stock, and rounding the front facing corners roughly and glueing them to the backdrop, then extended that thought to drilling holes in it to add branches. But I was already going to use the Woodland Scenic armatures flat and with the lower foreground schrubs in place the painted trucks suffice.

On other backdrops I've done I did indeed paint tops on the backdrop and that would have been a good idea here, frankly I didn't think of it! But I like the 3d quality of the little filler trees.

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
These are photos of other backdrops where I did paint treetops. Funny how I can forget things that have worked in the past! Like always trying to reinvent the wheel.

Attachments

• P1010887.jpg
    P1010887.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 7
  • P1010030a.jpg
    P1010030a.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 7

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
Your trees in the first shot look good, Gary, and some nice painting in behind them, too. I think I even spotted one of Bob Ross' "happy little squirrels" in there. ;):-D

Wayne

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
Thanks Wayne, they are just sedum with ground foam on them. That scene was without trees for years and one day I decided to get trees in there, now. I had a bunch of the dried sedum from our garden and was only going to use it for branch material, as the plant is pretty much tops only. But here I just stuck them in the ground as is. The tree in the second photo is sedum parts installed in drilled holes in a piece of stripwood. There's potential there I haven't yet explored.