Queston?

Goattee

Feb 12, 2004
Walls, MS
Visit site
I just finished my second popsical of the night and was about to throw the stick in the garbage when it hit me. Hard wood. about 7" thick. About 2' wide. About 30' long. Might be good for something.

Anyone use them for anything?

billk

Jun 12, 2001
Marion, IA, USA
They're so useful as general-pupose stirrers, daubers and smearers that I have a whole box of them (you can get them by the 100s, without the popcicle stains, at craft stores.)

A little thick for N scale usage, but I do recall slicing thin strips off of one to make bridge planks or something. Seems to me they may have had a waxy coating that had to be sanded off, but that may have been some other "found" material.

I keep an eye out for things like that, too. My latest rescue from the recycling bin was a box that nectarines came in (all the way from Spain!). Taking it apart, I salvaged several pieces of thin plywood that may prove useful someday, probably the day after I toss them during a cleaning spree.

belg

Apr 28, 2001
New Jersey USA
Visit site
Goattee I know several people that use them to back brace wood kit walls to minimize warping. I also have used the wooden coffee stirrers to make stripwood out of in N scale.Stain them and then cut them into 3 relatively even strips,great for random width boards on older structures or decking.

F

Fred_M

You can get a box of 1000 at Hobby Lobby for $1.27. They are too hard and big for modeling work, but make great stir sticks. I also let the kids build stuff out of them. They are then learning a skill/hobby, feel part of the family, and are not using expensive scale lumber to build lopsided bird houses. Another us is homemade popscicles:) . Use Koolaide double strength and popcicle molds from tupperware. FRED

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
I built this out of popscicle sticks and matches before I bought any "real" stripwood. I scored the popscicle sticks with the razor saw into 4 planks per stick.

Andrew

Attachments

• loading ramp plus.jpg
    loading ramp plus.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 126