Questions

Discussion in 'Gallery & Designs' started by clarklfarris, Mar 5, 2007.

1. clarklfarris

clarklfarris Member

First question: Can Pepakura unfold solids from other 3D modeling software such as SolidWorks?

Second question: I have read a lot about bitmaps and textures. How is this done. Is there a way to import a bitmap directly into a polygon or other defined shape on a 2D drawing. Or is creating textures something altogether.

Thanks in advance for you help.

Clark
  2. nx13688

nx13688 Member

If you can convert the model into a format Pepakura recognizes you can. I do not believe Solidworks can directly output anything Pepakura uses, but if you have AutoCAD, you can open an ACIS solid from Solidworks and convert it into 3DStudio format, which Pepakura recognizes. I just tried it with a simple model and it did work.

Attached Files:

• sw.jpg
      sw.jpg
      File size:
      43.1 KB
      Views:
    • acad.jpg
      acad.jpg
      File size:
      43.3 KB
      Views:
    • pepa.jpg
      pepa.jpg
      File size:
      31.8 KB
      Views:
  3. clarklfarris

clarklfarris Member

Ryan,

Thanks.
  4. sjsquirrel

sjsquirrel Member

Clark, I wrote a response to a similar question in the tutorials forum that might help you. The post is here http://www.cardmodels.net/forum/showpost.php?p=71322&postcount=45.

Simply put, the method of importing a bitmap is application dependent. If you have a 2D drawing in bitmap form and want to stick another bitmap in a particular area, you use something like cut and paste. If you have a 2D vector-based drawing program, the method is dependent on that program.

Steve