Questions from a Newbie...

dr.5euss

Sep 5, 2005
Birmingham, England
Hi,

I've just been to my local model shop, and they've got loads of On30 American logging stuff. At the moment I am in the track laying stage of a British outline model railway, so my first question is, "Can I keep my existing track if it uses 2nd & 3rd radius curves?" My next question is, "Are there any other manufacturers of On30 other than Spectrum?" and finally, "What is On30?".

Thanks,
George

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
George:
On30 is O scale trains running on OO/HO gauge track. You may see it as On16.5.
2nd radius is 17 1/4". This is close enough to 18" that it should work.
Consider a logging railroad to be like the Welsh narrow gauge. Built into the woods and either extended or shifted when the trees ran out. Cheap (maybe shoddy) construction which caused the development of the geared locomotives (Shay, Heisler, Climax) with bogies and jackshafts. Unlikely to have double track.
Look for posts from our member Shamus who has built a large number of logging layouts.

GeorgeHO

May 3, 2005
Baltimore, MD
In On3, Sn3, HOn3, etc the "n" refers to narrow guage, and the 3 refers to 3 SCALE feet (American) between the rails, On2, Sn2, HOn2 would refer to 2 scale American feet between the rails, and On30, Sn30, and HOn30 would refer to 30 scale American inches (or 2.5 feet) between the rails. Most modelers seem to choose a scale that lets them use manufactured tracks and parts (wheels, trucks, motors) from a smaller scale, and just say they are modeling in "n3", or "n2" or "n30" so they can easily get the layout assembled without scratchbuilding everything. Use whatever works for you.

dr.5euss

Sep 5, 2005
Birmingham, England
Thanks for your replies!

I'm now trying to come up with a name, but I wondered how I removed the 'Tioga Logging Co.' that is already on it, and replace it with something like 'Walton Logging Co,'?

Thanks,
George

jcoop1

Mar 18, 2005
I have a few of the 0-4-2 Porters myself. I have heard that useing Pine-sol will remove the lettering. Also even a rubber eraser may do the trick. I have not got up the nerve to try either yet.

If you do it please post back.

dr.5euss

Sep 5, 2005
Birmingham, England
I have just scratched the name off now. I started off with a fingernail, then used a knife. You wouldn't know it was rubbed off just looking at it, although if you hold it up to the light you can see faint scratch marks. This isn't a problem for me as I'll probably end up weathering it.

ukon30fan

0n30 Rail Baron of Leeds
Dec 4, 2003
Wakefield, UK
Visit site
Wait til you try to remove the lettering off the new OF 2-8-0 - damn near impossible! Worse, it's placed right along the rivet line. I lost a few rivets in my attempts on the first one. The second one got painted over!
Walton Logging Line ? Goodnight Johnboy, Good night Elizabeth!
Plenty of 'cottage industries' making cars etc for On30 - a few making RTR locos - here in the UK we have Backwoods Miniatures and Chivers Finelines marketing for 0n30. Just to whet your appetite have a look at http://www.valleymodeltrains.com/oscale.html for an idea of what you've let yourself in for!

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
For name and number removal, I have been using "Joe's Model Trains" paint and decal remover. Excellent stuff! It is a mild, heavy body paint stripper. Usually takes about three applications to completely remove the letters/numbers, but doesn't damage the underlying paint, if used carefully.
Pete