Questions about Model Kartonowy books

Jadriancz

Not sure if this is the proper place to ask these questions.
I see these paper model books from model kartonwy and had a couple of questions.
1. Are these ones you paste onto cardstock or already printed on the required cardstock and cutout for build?
2. Is there a vendor for these in the USA? If so any links?
3. If #2 is a no what kinds of issues have people in the USA experienced when purchasing these books (ie., shipping, customs, etc.)?

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Good Luck. If they are the real ones, they come with the proper thickness card stock and parts may be printed on both sides. The shipping will cost twice the book. I know of no U.S. distributor. This is why their work is pirated, they make it impossible to get, and they have not filed copyrights in any of the other countries. I have talked to many people who have had the books come in with the edges, sometimes going into parts, damaged, or rolled up into tubes, and making them almost impossible to flatten. The price is exorbitant, and if the model comes through messed up, they don't care.

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
@zathros : I'm really shocked to hear this! You wouldn't be long in business if you were a German distributor / manufacturer / producer. WOW! :eek:

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
@zathros : I'm really shocked to hear this! You wouldn't be long in business if you were a German distributor / manufacturer / producer. WOW! :eek:

European Paper Model Books are virtually unattainable, and the few aren't any of interest, just old stock, as that is all Europe wants to get rid of. These companies make you buy a container full of model books, and this costs around $5000 to $7000 dollars, and THEY select what the will sell you. This is standard practice. This is why their work is pirated, and frankly, to be honest, I don't give a damned. :)

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Are there other reputable printer/distributor/sellers for these kinds of model kit books?

Not that I know of. I tried a couple but they had none of the models I was interested in, they say "back-ordered", but after a year or so, that is just bullshit. I won't give you their names, you could "Google" and maybe find them out, but I won't give them any publicity here. Your best bet is making friends with someone in Europe, and send them the money, and pay them to ship the model to you, with 1mm cardboard on each side, sticking out a half inch all the way around to protect it. You will lose friends fast if you ask this more than once, maybe twice, at the most. Halinkski was putting Hi Detail Photos of their models on their web page, good enough to download and build a model off of. This was to show the quality of their books. Don't know if they still are, that was a few years ago. :)

Jadriancz

Not that I know of. I tried a couple but they had none of the models I was interested in, they say "back-ordered", but after a year or so, that is just bullshit. I won't give you their names, you could "Google" and maybe find them out, but I won't give them any publicity here. Your best bet is making friends with someone in Europe, and send them the money, and pay them to ship the model to you, with 1mm cardboard on each side, sticking out a half inch all the way around to protect it. You will lose friends fast if you ask this more than once, maybe twice, at the most. Halinkski was putting Hi Detail Photos of their models on their web page, good enough to download and build a model off of. This was to show the quality of their books. Don't know if they still are, that was a few years ago. :)

Well it's all good info. Thanks!

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
I just want you to know that when I first saw all these models, and saw the ones I wanted, and had the money to buy, but could not access, I was extremely disheartened. When I saw the same models scanned in high resolution for free, I understood why. These companies did it to themselves. I think most of these companies won't be around in 10 years or less. :)

goodduck

I do have a few Kartonwy in my collections. I'm working out of state right now so I have no access to them to show you, and I can't remember what they are :D :D :D I purchased them over ten years ago.
Kartonwy models are very nice. Aircraft do need cardstock for bulkhead, keel beam, and frame, stuff like that. Same as every card model books out there. Don't know about armor, but I going guess they do for the chassis.
I purchased my books from two sources http://www.papermodelstore.com/ and the 2nd I can't find the link, sorry. If I find it I'll post it.
Oh, and it took almost four weeks to ship to me, on a slow boat. I do remember that very well.

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
I have to be honest, I forgot about that site. They have a lame selection on some brands, but have a pretty good selection on Orlik models, which are very nice models, as are Kartonowy. If you know what you want, it's good to search there, I don't know what the shipping prices are, but you don't want these shipped rolled up, and it has to be far cheaper than from Europe. Are you looking for Kartonowy of Kartonowy Swiat?

Make sure you know what your ordering. Allen (Gooduck) would not have mentioned this site if he had an iota of negative feeling about it, I suggest, A) you check out Goodduck's blog, you will be amazed, he has a few free paper models there too,
and
B) Check out the link, not sure what your looking for exactly, maybe if you post that, someone could help you find it, or might already have it and be willing to see it to you. I have fond some out of print models like that, for ridiculously cheap prices. . ;)

Gandolf50

Researcher of obscure between war vehicles...
Staff member
The first one ... ??? ... the one I got from them looked like a scanned/reprint, ( It was an OUT of PRINT). So I just don't know..good prices and shipping!! Quality???

GPM ? Great Prices! Till you add the shipping...

GEKKO Nakajima J1N1-S Komplet model i lasery 25$ w/ lazer cut parts, shipping to US 13.80!!! ( NOT CHEAP!!!)

IMHO ...find someone that can get them for you!!! I had a group of co-workers from Germany and I bought the models cheap!! and had them delivered to one of them, and when one of the guys was rotating back over here, he would bring them with him! Like that Nakajima... on sale you might get it for 10$ shipping still 13.80$ If you got tons of money to burn...go for it... I'm POOR as HELL!!!

Whatever you do...STAY away from MALY ( they look like they are drawn with a crayon )... and personally MODEL1k ( unless you are going to paint the thing) their colors are just awful!!!

WC Models are SUPERB!!! as well as the old Renova Models and a few more out there, live and learn!

PS. If you give me some idea of your interest, then I might be able to steer you to some outstanding models that are for FREE and not scans ...

Last edited:

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
I have never actually seen a Maly or Modlik model put together that didn't look like shit. Maybe if someone brought one Into Rhino, and redid it, but that would be a new model, wouldn't it?

Personally, I don't give a shit what someone posts, if it's a scan, don't be stupid and post that is. Companies are now selling scanned models, go figure. This hobby in that respect has gone to shit, but one the FREE side of the hobby it is flourishing!!! ;)