Question????

Discussion in 'Weathering Forum' started by iis612, Jan 15, 2007.

1. iis612

iis612 Member

Since my layout is going to be centered around the Chicago Union Stockyards, a large portion of my rolling stock will be livestock cards. Anyone have any suggestions as to how to appropriately weather and add accents such as waste matter and straw?
  2. Cannonball

Cannonball More Trains Than Brains

My folks run a cattle farm. They could send you some..... :D

Seriously, I'd mix a bit of mud and dried grass together. Let it dry out and maybe pop it in the oven for 20 min to be sure all the moisture was out then put it in your cars.
  3. iis612

iis612 Member

That is a great idea Cannonball, thanks:thumb:
  4. MasonJar

MasonJar It's not rocket surgery

Perhaps saw dust might make believeable scale straw? There is also "dirt" and "earth" colour ground foam. Along with some appropriately muddy colour craft paint, you should be able to come up with a good lookin' mix...!

Good question - I am hoping for more info as I have a cattle pen at my team track...

Andrew
  5. UP SD40-2

UP SD40-2 Senior Member

iis612:wave:, GREAT THREAD!!!:thumb: i have been watching this thread with interest:D. i picked up a stock car at the first show i went to this year, and am puzzled as to how i should weather it:oops:. i have never really been into livestock, so i too, really don't have a clue what to do:oops:. some GREAT IDEAS have come up on here so far:thumb:, i would like to see if any more turn up;). i have some B&W pics of stock cars, but its hard for me to weather a car from B&W pics:oops:. :D -Deano View attachment 34241

Attached Files:

6. doctorwayne

doctorwayne Active Member

In general, a stock car would be weathered pretty much like any other freight car. I think that most of them were built so that there was a board, rather than a space, just above the floor, so the majority of the "crap" wouldn't be falling out along the track. In Canada, government regulations (I don't know when this first came into effect) required the use of lime, as a disinfectant, on all stockcars. This was sprayed on, and generally made a real mess of the car, so the railroads started painting the lower part of the car-side white. The dimensional data was moved to a strip near the top of the car, to prevent it being covered by lime. I don't know if this practice was ever used in the States.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Wayne
  7. iis612

iis612 Member

Some great ideas have come up here, and I appreciate them all.
    I can't say with absolute certainty, but I think that in the era that I am working on, and the area I doubt that any laws pertaining to the treatment of waste matter were in place.
    According to all the historical information I have found regarding the stockyards, it was a nasty, brutal place. However, I did find evidence of a clean out track with large drains into the city's sewage systems placed between, the rails and run-off ditches on either side. No idea how I am going to pull that off.
    My challenge with this particular car is kinda 2 fold. It has a sound kit in it, which I don't want. It changes the interior structure of the car as there is a large plastic box occupying most of it. I will have to make that go away and add crap, straw, and rivers of discolored urine to the lower boards where the drain ports are.
    Once I figure out how to get the effect I am looking for, I will certainly post pics with a "How'd that happen" tutorial, so to speak. Then I will just have to alter it for the other 90 or so stock cars.
  8. iis612

iis612 Member

Here is the car in question, and you can clearly see the box I was describing:
    [​IMG]

Here is the same car closed up:
    [​IMG]
  9. MasonJar

MasonJar It's not rocket surgery

There may not have been standards for waste disposal like there are today, but there were strict rules (at least on Canadian National and Canadian Pacific) concerning the treatment of livestock during transport. They had to be taken out of the stock car and fed, watered, and rested for a specifc time on a regular schedule. CNR had a standing order that stated that stock cars will be consisted (?correct term?) directly behind the locomotive for ease of switching. They were among the highest priority cars on the railway.

Rather than change your stock car with the sound, why not get a few others without the sound. The Proto2000 Mather stock cars (and other road names) are very nice. My local train shop has them for CAN$9.95 each: http://www.larkspurline-trains.com/saleitems/ (scroll about 1/2 way down the page). I am sure Jeff would be happy to send you some ;). They come in CB&Q, B&O, GN, and NP - all of which are appropriate for Chicago I think... ;) :D

EDIT - you posted pix while I was replying - the sound box is not very noticable at all when the door is closed...

Andrew
  10. iis612

iis612 Member

BTW Wayne, that bridge over the river pic, outstanding detail!!:thumb:
    nice looking 2-8-0 also
  11. iis612

iis612 Member

Thanks MasonJar:thumb: , I fired off an email to them asking about those cars. Hopefully shipping to the states "en-mass" won't cost all that much. The one that I posted is a Broadway Limited and purchasing more of those would break my bank.
  12. doctorwayne

doctorwayne Active Member

Thanks. The stockcar in the first photo is a doubledeck version of the ones Andrew mentioned, while the other is a modified Athearn.
    Modelling a clean-out track for stockcars would make an interesting scene. I think they also had steam cleaning equipment, to disinfect the cars after they were shovelled out.
    At the Lowbanks stockyards, cars are cleaned out with shovels and wheelbarrows, with the manure being dumped out behind the pens. Occasionally, a gondola will take a load away (more shovel work), but a lot of it just runs into the river.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(These two photos were taken by my good friend cn nutbar.)

Wayne
  13. iis612

iis612 Member

From the pictures I have seen of the clean out tracks, they shovel the manure into other cars to be switched out at a nearby fertilizer factory yard, then unloaded into drying silos.
    The cars are then hosed out with either water, steam or both and then sent into the outbound staging.
    THe more I consider the potential of this layout the more I love it, but it's becoming overwhelming.
    In 1947 the stockyards railyard had over 130 miles of track. With several surrounding industries relying on the animal by-products.