Question, which Kiln enclosure to model?

Which looks best?

• Factory 1 single story red barn

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Factory 2 two story orange

• factory 3 with yellow skylights

• leave it alone, you'll wreck it

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

EngineerKyle

Oct 3, 2005
Troy MI
good question Larry,

A lot of this is my "best guess" ... but I did read Salt of the Earth, a book by Arthur Pound which outlines Michigan Alkali pretty good.

You take limestone, coke and brine.... 2 out of three are abundant in Michigan, and end up with Potash, Sodium Cloride and Caustic Soda... That's about it. I know it takes huge plants and rolling stock that is pulled indoors.

I think dry ice and chlorine are a couple of by-products of this process, called the Solvay process.

I thought it would be a neat industry to try to model. I've got some of it down already, but lots of work to go. Thank you for your interest. :thumb: I wish I could get a Baldwin 0-6-0 with DCC sound, because that loco is prototypical of this industry, but alas :cry:, I can't find anyone who makes one.

EK

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Hey everyone,

We've seen an unusual amount of spam posted on this thread. We're not exactly sure why this fine thread is being targetted by so many annoying posts but we're deleting them as soon as we see them. Remember, you can help alert the moderators about spam by clicking on the little red triangle icon located in the lower left of the post window. Thanks to you guys who have already been doing that! It only takes seconds to remove a bad post and the administration is promptly banning spammers.

We now return to this interesting thread! :)

Ralph

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
EngineerKyle said:
good question Larry,

A lot of this is my "best guess" ... but I did read Salt of the Earth, a book by Arthur Pound which outlines Michigan Alkali pretty good.

You take limestone, coke and brine.... 2 out of three are abundant in Michigan, and end up with Potash, Sodium Cloride and Caustic Soda... That's about it. I know it takes huge plants and rolling stock that is pulled indoors.

I think dry ice and chlorine are a couple of by-products of this process, called the Solvay process.

I thought it would be a neat industry to try to model. I've got some of it down already, but lots of work to go. Thank you for your interest. :thumb: I wish I could get a Baldwin 0-6-0 with DCC sound, because that loco is prototypical of this industry, but alas :cry:, I can't find anyone who makes one.

EK
I am always looking for information on industries.sign1 Never know when such information might come in handy.:D
Thanks for your reply.

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
To the membership:

Due to an unsual amount of spam being posted in this thread the administration/ moderators are locking it. I'll create a new thread with the title "Engineerkyle's kiln thread continued" for you to keep posting about the topic. While we are uncertain why this thread is such a target for spam we hope that locking it and having members post elsewhere might help. Hope so any way!

Ralph

Status
Not open for further replies.