Question, which Kiln enclosure to model?

Which looks best?

• Factory 1 single story red barn

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Factory 2 two story orange

• factory 3 with yellow skylights

• leave it alone, you'll wreck it

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
and.jpg

Consider these two kilns. I think I'd like to enclose them from the elements. I think it would be typical to have industial ovens with at least a roof overhead. I'd like the scene to remain as open as possible, without looking spindley or un-natural.

Would you all take a moment and look at the three ideas below and give your opinion as to which might turn out best?

anf.jpg

ane.jpg

ang.jpg

If you know of a website or photo that would help, please share. Any ideas welcome!

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
I voted for the first one because I like the shape. I'd opt for a grey or other heavy industrial color though.... Your artwork is a neat way of visualizing the possibilities!
Ralph

Illus

To understand the situation better, what exactly are you cooking in them? That might help me pick a structure, or at least a color...

Well, the bold colors are just to help me focus on the new part of the module. They will be less gawdy when actually applied. The ovens burn a limestone and coal mix, Dominic.

EK

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
I voted for the first one, it looks a lil better than the second 2 and I think that it will work better too.

Illus

OK, I say go with Factory 2, but the factory 1 colors, (you live in Troy, which means you have been over the I-75 River Rouge bridge, paint it like the Rouge complex steel mill rust red) and add the factory 3 skylights in the second floor to let some light in. Plus when the 'hot work' is going on inside, it will make the skylights glow. Thats my vote, one for each building:)

Dominic...

I'm just noticing you live in Wyandotte.... I model Wyandotte Chemical, Michigan Alkali (it's predecessor) and the Detroit and Mackinac Road that first teamed with the MCRR to bring limestone from Alpena downstate to your fair city so that it could be processed into sodium cloride, caustic soda and potash. I have visited Wyandotte and see that there is now a nice golf course where all that industry used to be.... ah, to know what "treasures" are buried under those links!

Anyway, you have train store there, Eureka Hobby? Ever been? Any good?

Thanks, and I have seen the rouge plant and yards from the I-75 overpass many times. VAST.

Illus

Kyle,
I notice where you were modeling when I clicked on your link to get a better idea of the use of the kilns, great pics, beautiful work! I am still new to this, hopefully I will have something going soon.
I think I have an O gauge Wyandotte Chemical tank car in with my stuff somewhere, even though I have switched over to HO... I live about 1 minute from what is now BASF, and see alot of tank train traffic into their yard.
That golf course is a pretty good 9 hole if you play, has something 'meant to be like' Heather growing all over it, impossible to find a stray ball.

Eureka Trains went out of business in March, he was pretty good, I think he is planning on building a new layout in there and then re-opening, no idea when though. Speaking of that, I don't have a decent HS near me, do you know of any? I don't mind a drive, it would be worth it to find an unknown treasure. By the way, if you ever go to Frankenmuth, there is a place up there called The Junction that is LOADED with good finds... They also have a 1/4 scale running railroad. I let my wifes shopping trips to Birch Run slide on a trip to that train store:)
I did my Apprenticeship in the Rouge Steel complex, and one day, when I have the space, plan on modeling an integrated steel mill, but for now, I am working on a freelance coal mining operation, with some other industry... Sorry bout the ramble...

Thanks for the kind words... of course Wyandotte chemical was bought out by BASF. Well, next time I am in Frankenmuth I'll hafta check that place out. I'll probably send you a PM here after I consider what hobbie stores might be any good around here.

later.

EK

KCS

I'm thinking an IP address look up and prosecution held againest whom ever wrote that. I swear that crap right there is the main reason the internet shouldn't exsist. Online thevies rank right there with it. Now we know you have to completely register in order to post so it was posted by a human being, not a robot.

viperman

Maybe they saw this was a poll...(I'll leave it at that)

I voted 2, just like the shape of the building, and it leaves some room for creativity inside, just in a more neutral color

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
I assume the above two posts refer to a recent spammer. The post was removed by our administration and the poster banned. Its truely obnoxious when spammers post in the middle of threads. It makes it harder for the moderators to se them. Members can help by clicking on the little red and white triangle icon in the lower left corner of the problematic post's window. This reports a bad post to all moderators so we can act fast even if the mod for that particular forum isn't online. Go get 'em!!
Ralph

Illus

You read my mind. That is going to look very nice. I like the way you extended the stacks from the kilns right thru the roof.

These kilns make potash. So I guess I will not need a batcher.

It's a lime kiln. The idea being that you add amounts of coke and flux sized limestone, burn it and out comes potash that can be used to make caustic soda and sodium cloride. Dry ice and clorine are natural by-products of this process, which I believe takes a lot of salt water and is called the Solvay method.

My explanation of what Michigan Alkali did over 100 years ago is loosely based on the facts... and what a rich and interesting history the John Baptiste Ford family leave us from the turn of the last century. First a plate glass maker in Pennsylvania, then, at age 90 he started his chemical company in Wyandotte, Michigan and began quarrying the limestone 500 miles to the north in Alpena and Rogers City. He had a fleet of freighters... but the first few pre-shipping years of production, 1900-1910, were railroad INTENSIVE.... trainloads of limestone flux hauled down the east side of Lake Michigan by the D&M and MCRR.
akx.sized.jpg

His own lines, the Wyandotte Terminal Railroad and Wyandotte Southern Railroad basically ran around the factory and connected with the DTSL and NYC lines....

He branched out by forming the JB Ford Company, selling household and industrial cleaners around the world... having even a plant in New Zealand.

Indeed the largest limestone quarry in the world, on the shores of the largest bodies of fresh water in the world.... feeding, by rail, a massive chemical works (and all BEFORE the EPA) is indeed worthy of modelling!

MA Proto

anr.jpg

Quarry Proto

ans.jpg

Michigan Alkali became Wyandotte Chemical in the 1940's.... and the property and the original buildings and track are now owned and used by none other than BASF.

No, not makin' bricks.... Brakie! :)

I am, however, gloriously tearing up the land and polluting it as fast as I can make a buck!

Oh... THOSE were the days...

Status
Not open for further replies.