Question to the experts. . .

Discussion in 'Gallery & Designs' started by alaimo@jcu.edu, Apr 27, 2007.

1. barry

barry Active Member

Unfolds in Pepakura

If you are designing ships then before doing your unfold checks you must put a scale mast height into the mesh just a thin cylinder and leave it in the drawing for good, Pepakura appears to be relative to HEIGHT. Use Maurice's box to work out the scale. First off unfold everything then go to the scaling factors and WRITE DOWN the decimal fraction given there, so far this has always allowed me to keep a constant scale every now and again Pepakura seems to loose it and the top number in the box does not always get you back.

Now you can just do selected bits and stay in scale.

If you are designing a small detailed part such as a 3" gun in 1/200 th scale open another Metsequoia sheet design a big one with all the details you want. Copy it Paste into the real mesh and scale it to fit. When you unfold it throw away the bits that are impossible.

load of rubbish as usual!!!
  2. barry

barry Active Member

Unfolds in Pepakura

If you are designing ships then before doing your unfold checks you must put a scale mast height into the mesh just a thin cylinder and leave it in the drawing for good, Pepakura appears to be relative to HEIGHT. Use Maurice's box to work out the scale. First off unfold everything then go to the scaling factors and WRITE DOWN the decimal fraction given there, so far this has always allowed me to keep a constant scale every now and again Pepakura seems to loose it and the top number in the box does not always get you back.

Now you can just do selected bits and stay in scale.

If you are designing a small detailed part such as a 3" gun in 1/200 th scale open another Metsequoia sheet design a big one with all the details you want. Copy it Paste into the real mesh and scale it to fit. When you unfold it throw away the bits that are impossible.

load of rubbish as usual!!!
  3. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

This thread is turning into a real goldmine! Great job on this guys.
    Chris
  4. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

This thread is turning into a real goldmine! Great job on this guys.
    Chris
  5. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

In Pepakura you can set the 2DPatternWindow scale to whatever you want, rather than let it do a 'best fit' operation, which is the default setting. So if you make sure the mesh is the size you need, set the scale to 1, the unfolded pattern will be the correct size. And if the part is then too big for a single sheet of paper, it will span the image over several pages for you.

I think you have to specify the scale for eack file imported; I can't see a seeting that would lock the scale required for every file imported. I'll raise this issue with pepakura.

Tim
  6. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

In Pepakura you can set the 2DPatternWindow scale to whatever you want, rather than let it do a 'best fit' operation, which is the default setting. So if you make sure the mesh is the size you need, set the scale to 1, the unfolded pattern will be the correct size. And if the part is then too big for a single sheet of paper, it will span the image over several pages for you.

I think you have to specify the scale for eack file imported; I can't see a seeting that would lock the scale required for every file imported. I'll raise this issue with pepakura.

Tim
  7. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

Tim is right, in Pepakura you can uncheck the 'Auto' checkbox during unfold, and then you can specify the scale of the thing.
  8. Maurice

Maurice Member

Ah well you see I only use pepa (and sometimes someone else's rhino :)) to develop (unfold) the curvy bits of surface as seperate components, never as complete models. So there are often several parts generated at different times. I want those developments in vector format for further refinement in 2D Cad. With pepa this involves cycling through other progs and my boxes are a one stop cure that covers all possible intermediate distortions of scale. There is a simple and accurate graphical method for the final resizing.
    I think I'm suggesting this might also work for the Blender/Unfolder combination. :)
  9. alaimo@jcu.edu

alaimo@jcu.edu I need a Pin up girl. . .

Thanks to all who replied, There is a lot of info to checkinto and ponder....If I ever finish my c130 (probably uscg and or fat albert,) I will make it available to you all! Thanks again!
  10. alaimo@jcu.edu

alaimo@jcu.edu I need a Pin up girl. . .

Thanks Wilja67 I just downloaded rhino seems intresting, I have and use photoshop. Still wish I could buy the corsair in PDF format....::)