Question to the experts. . .

Discussion in 'Gallery & Designs' started by alaimo@jcu.edu, Apr 27, 2007.

1. Willja67

Willja67 Member

The way I understand the question is:"How can a hand drawn model be cleaned up?"

The 2 cad programs I am familiar with (Autocad and Rhino) will both import bitmaps that can be traced and that will allow fine tuning after a test build. So find a cheap 2d cad program that will import bitmaps(ie your scanned drawing), trace it, clean it up and then export to your preferred paint program.
  2. Willja67

Willja67 Member

The way I understand the question is:"How can a hand drawn model be cleaned up?"

The 2 cad programs I am familiar with (Autocad and Rhino) will both import bitmaps that can be traced and that will allow fine tuning after a test build. So find a cheap 2d cad program that will import bitmaps(ie your scanned drawing), trace it, clean it up and then export to your preferred paint program.
  3. 46rob

46rob Member

Using a program like PSP or Photoshop gives the same effect as the drawing programs...layers being the critical element. The advantage to using them is you're going rom beginning to end in the same format, program, etc. I'm a Photoshop user-bt PSP is a bunch cheaper and gets you to the same destination. I happen to have started with the Adobe products, and so continue to use them. If I'd 'a started out this PSP--I'd probably be proclaiming it's virtues. Photoshop Elements, early versions (and better IMHO) can be picked up for pocket change on ebay and are about equivalent to Photoshop 6.0 in power.
  4. 46rob

46rob Member

Using a program like PSP or Photoshop gives the same effect as the drawing programs...layers being the critical element. The advantage to using them is you're going rom beginning to end in the same format, program, etc. I'm a Photoshop user-bt PSP is a bunch cheaper and gets you to the same destination. I happen to have started with the Adobe products, and so continue to use them. If I'd 'a started out this PSP--I'd probably be proclaiming it's virtues. Photoshop Elements, early versions (and better IMHO) can be picked up for pocket change on ebay and are about equivalent to Photoshop 6.0 in power.
  5. thewoodengraver

thewoodengraver Active Member

PSP8 reads adobe files? Gonna have to looksee...Thanx GB!

Yup, I plug PSP because it was the first program I ever bought. If I would have been able to afford Photoshop then, that would have been my choice.
    I have it now...don't really want to relearn though...
  6. thewoodengraver

thewoodengraver Active Member

PSP8 reads adobe files? Gonna have to looksee...Thanx GB!

Yup, I plug PSP because it was the first program I ever bought. If I would have been able to afford Photoshop then, that would have been my choice.
    I have it now...don't really want to relearn though...
  7. DrBill

DrBill Member

Blender has a mesh unfolder plug-in -- see http://www.celeriac.net/unfolder/. To see how one designer went from concept to 2-D parts sheets using only open source (free) software (Blender, Unfolder and Gimp), go to http://www.modellbau-holzinger.de/en/frames.html. He did a Triebfl├╝gel....

BTW, I learned this earlier today by following a chain of links that originated with a response to my query about a Seamaster model. This forum continues to amaze!
  8. DrBill

DrBill Member

Blender has a mesh unfolder plug-in -- see http://www.celeriac.net/unfolder/. To see how one designer went from concept to 2-D parts sheets using only open source (free) software (Blender, Unfolder and Gimp), go to http://www.modellbau-holzinger.de/en/frames.html. He did a Triebfl├╝gel....

BTW, I learned this earlier today by following a chain of links that originated with a response to my query about a Seamaster model. This forum continues to amaze!
  9. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

I find learning Blender quite a challenge for apparently the program is hotkey-dominated and if you don't know what key is for what, you're done for it... (maybe I'm saying this from a beginner's point of view but this information is certainly correct)
  10. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

I find learning Blender quite a challenge for apparently the program is hotkey-dominated and if you don't know what key is for what, you're done for it... (maybe I'm saying this from a beginner's point of view but this information is certainly correct)
  11. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

I've got a printout of those keys somewhere..................

I can (have) designed it, my problem is I have not figured out how to put the panel lines on.................. I have a very nice WHITE F-84G and MiG-17 that needs this help.:oops:

john
  12. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

I've got a printout of those keys somewhere..................

I can (have) designed it, my problem is I have not figured out how to put the panel lines on.................. I have a very nice WHITE F-84G and MiG-17 that needs this help.:oops:

john
  13. swiftsword

swiftsword Member

For what it's worth, my work flow is:

- scan plan(s) into Photoshop
    - straighten and scale images in Photoshop
    - use images to set background bitmap(s) in Rhino
    - trace plan lines
    - design 3d model with lines thus obtained.
    - develop (unfold) model parts
    - export parts to Illustrator (sometimes Photoshop) for coloring / texturing
    - Assemble sheets in Illustrator
    - create explosion drawings with Rhino & Penguin
    - Write instructions & description text in Word
    - Assemble kit in InDesign

Cheers,

Oliver
  14. swiftsword

swiftsword Member

For what it's worth, my work flow is:

- scan plan(s) into Photoshop
    - straighten and scale images in Photoshop
    - use images to set background bitmap(s) in Rhino
    - trace plan lines
    - design 3d model with lines thus obtained.
    - develop (unfold) model parts
    - export parts to Illustrator (sometimes Photoshop) for coloring / texturing
    - Assemble sheets in Illustrator
    - create explosion drawings with Rhino & Penguin
    - Write instructions & description text in Word
    - Assemble kit in InDesign

Cheers,

Oliver
  15. lizzienewell

lizzienewell Member

Here is what I do.
    Scan image and save as jpg.
    Open up Coreldraw(vector drawing program). Import jpg. Draw over the top of the jpg. I've tried Coreldraws auto-trace but it just makes a mess. It's easier to manually draw over the top of the photo. Once it is drawn in, remove the jpg.
    The nice thing is that the plans are now in vector, so you can change scale easily and repeatedly without loss of quality.
    I even do this with models that I get off the net if they are in bitmap or jpg form. Often distortion gets introduced somewhere in the process. This can be cleaned up when changing to vector.
    I don't do much with textures on my models. Coreldraw also has a bunch of textures on it that can be modified, and I sometimes move bitmaps into Coreldraw for textures, but it makes the file clunky.
    Adobi Illustrator is similar to Coreldraw.
  16. lizzienewell

lizzienewell Member

Here is what I do.
    Scan image and save as jpg.
    Open up Coreldraw(vector drawing program). Import jpg. Draw over the top of the jpg. I've tried Coreldraws auto-trace but it just makes a mess. It's easier to manually draw over the top of the photo. Once it is drawn in, remove the jpg.
    The nice thing is that the plans are now in vector, so you can change scale easily and repeatedly without loss of quality.
    I even do this with models that I get off the net if they are in bitmap or jpg form. Often distortion gets introduced somewhere in the process. This can be cleaned up when changing to vector.
    I don't do much with textures on my models. Coreldraw also has a bunch of textures on it that can be modified, and I sometimes move bitmaps into Coreldraw for textures, but it makes the file clunky.
    Adobi Illustrator is similar to Coreldraw.
  17. paul a

paul a Member

I just want to apolijize for the other day I was in the wrong and i am truly sorry. paul ps wish i could spell miss that part of school.
  18. paul a

paul a Member

I just want to apolijize for the other day I was in the wrong and i am truly sorry. paul ps wish i could spell miss that part of school.
  19. Maurice

Maurice Member

We do our best Bill. :)

In case you didn't also find it there was mention of Blender/Unfolder at
    http://www.cardmodels.net/forum/showthread.php?t=4907

The problem of keeping the seperate "unfolds" to the same scale gets a mention in that thread. I've found with Pepakura that it pays to include a 3D box say 80x10x10 (which unfolds to give a 100 length) with each development.
    The whole page can then be resized on the basis of getting that length right again.
  20. Maurice

Maurice Member

We do our best Bill. :)

In case you didn't also find it there was mention of Blender/Unfolder at
    http://www.cardmodels.net/forum/showthread.php?t=4907

The problem of keeping the seperate "unfolds" to the same scale gets a mention in that thread. I've found with Pepakura that it pays to include a 3D box say 80x10x10 (which unfolds to give a 100 length) with each development.
    The whole page can then be resized on the basis of getting that length right again.