Question to the experts. . .

Discussion in 'Gallery & Designs' started by alaimo@jcu.edu, Apr 27, 2007.

1. alaimo@jcu.edu

alaimo@jcu.edu I need a Pin up girl. . .

When I do my own models, I use stick and tissue plans, 3 view drawings and or photos. I use tracing paper to get mu basic design and then I transfer to card stock, color clean up lines cut and then trial and error.

Are there any software packages out there that will let me import my design from my own drawing/coloring that I can scan in? And then straighten and clean up the lines/colors? And perhaps then test build?

I want to sart doing my work via the PC instead of the OLD FASIONED WAY...:)

I just don't want to waste a lot of time and money on software that doesn't deliver. . .
  2. alaimo@jcu.edu

alaimo@jcu.edu I need a Pin up girl. . .

When I do my own models, I use stick and tissue plans, 3 view drawings and or photos. I use tracing paper to get mu basic design and then I transfer to card stock, color clean up lines cut and then trial and error.

Are there any software packages out there that will let me import my design from my own drawing/coloring that I can scan in? And then straighten and clean up the lines/colors? And perhaps then test build?

I want to sart doing my work via the PC instead of the OLD FASIONED WAY...:)

I just don't want to waste a lot of time and money on software that doesn't deliver. . .
  3. paul a

paul a Member

me too i want to design but don,t have the skills on the computer to do so been watching the community thread to maybe learn the way you design .but there is no pointers or detail how you get to the results.it,s not teaching me anything.and the whole point of the thread was to teach us how it is done.sorry now i,ll go back in to hiding . thank you paula
  4. paul a

paul a Member

me too i want to design but don,t have the skills on the computer to do so been watching the community thread to maybe learn the way you design .but there is no pointers or detail how you get to the results.it,s not teaching me anything.and the whole point of the thread was to teach us how it is done.sorry now i,ll go back in to hiding . thank you paula
  5. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

Freesoftware...

Scan in and use Inkscape (Illustrator-like) or Gimp (Photoshop-like).
    3D work in Metesequioa LT or Blender (also free and Blender has a large tutorial base).

Free is the best price to pay.
  6. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

Freesoftware...

Scan in and use Inkscape (Illustrator-like) or Gimp (Photoshop-like).
    3D work in Metesequioa LT or Blender (also free and Blender has a large tutorial base).

Free is the best price to pay.
  7. paul a

paul a Member

not the point. the thread is about how you get to your finnish product. i just don,t see it.sorry paula
  8. paul a

paul a Member

not the point. the thread is about how you get to your finnish product. i just don,t see it.sorry paula
  9. paul a

paul a Member

I have no problem using a drafting board it,s making my drawing available to you that got me stumped.you tell us the program and the results not how you get there.
  10. paul a

paul a Member

I have no problem using a drafting board it,s making my drawing available to you that got me stumped.you tell us the program and the results not how you get there.
  11. paul a

paul a Member

and i quote the thread "I would like it to be a learning thread for anyone interested in model design".that means teach us. I know it would be boring to people that do it every day. but it would not be to people who don,t.
  12. paul a

paul a Member

and i quote the thread "I would like it to be a learning thread for anyone interested in model design".that means teach us. I know it would be boring to people that do it every day. but it would not be to people who don,t.
  13. thewoodengraver

thewoodengraver Active Member

Okay...here I go...hope you like it...and...I am by no means at all an expert.

Any image you scan needs processing. You cannot "import" the lines of the drawing because there are no lines. It is an image...that is all. If you are not critical about your scanned image, clean it up with a paint program.

MY OPINION...
    I use Paint Shop Pro (version 8 for $40. at amazon.com).
    I scan the image at 300dpi color (personal preference) and save the image as .psp (paint shop pro file). The .psp supports transparencies and layers while keeping color depth.

Then, I create a new layer on top of the scanned image, and begin to " trace" the lines onto the new layer. When all the imformation has been " drawn", I delete the image layer. Now I have lines that are perfectly plumb horizontally and vertically, and they are a solid color, and they are precisely the pixel width I select.

I save all my image files as .psp(losless), and when I publish, they usually go to .jpg or .pdf.
  14. thewoodengraver

thewoodengraver Active Member

Okay...here I go...hope you like it...and...I am by no means at all an expert.

Any image you scan needs processing. You cannot "import" the lines of the drawing because there are no lines. It is an image...that is all. If you are not critical about your scanned image, clean it up with a paint program.

MY OPINION...
    I use Paint Shop Pro (version 8 for $40. at amazon.com).
    I scan the image at 300dpi color (personal preference) and save the image as .psp (paint shop pro file). The .psp supports transparencies and layers while keeping color depth.

Then, I create a new layer on top of the scanned image, and begin to " trace" the lines onto the new layer. When all the imformation has been " drawn", I delete the image layer. Now I have lines that are perfectly plumb horizontally and vertically, and they are a solid color, and they are precisely the pixel width I select.

I save all my image files as .psp(losless), and when I publish, they usually go to .jpg or .pdf.
  15. paul a

paul a Member

thank you now i.m learning somthing new. paula
  16. paul a

paul a Member

thank you now i.m learning somthing new. paula
  17. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Same with PhotoShop, which is what I use.

Now........... with a 3D program.......... I've played with BLENDER, but like StevO noted there are many freeware and some expensive ones.......... AutoCAD, Rhino........ you can develop the model in them................export them to an unfolding software program.............pepakura... It will take the 3d image and flatten it onto paper...........sounds easy but there are plenty of things to learn. Also some of the expensive 3D programs come with an un-folder imbedded in them.

THEN you can pull that image into a paint program........... PhotoShop, Corel Draw, Paint Shop Pro.................freebee GIMP and then do the colorization.

Look at Nobi's Spitfire thread he uses RHINO and to design the model and does the panel lines and paint lines in it, then uses a paint program to color it.

Once it's to your liking you can then save as JPG or convert to PDF like Phil said for distribution.

Hope this helps too.............
  18. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Same with PhotoShop, which is what I use.

Now........... with a 3D program.......... I've played with BLENDER, but like StevO noted there are many freeware and some expensive ones.......... AutoCAD, Rhino........ you can develop the model in them................export them to an unfolding software program.............pepakura... It will take the 3d image and flatten it onto paper...........sounds easy but there are plenty of things to learn. Also some of the expensive 3D programs come with an un-folder imbedded in them.

THEN you can pull that image into a paint program........... PhotoShop, Corel Draw, Paint Shop Pro.................freebee GIMP and then do the colorization.

Look at Nobi's Spitfire thread he uses RHINO and to design the model and does the panel lines and paint lines in it, then uses a paint program to color it.

Once it's to your liking you can then save as JPG or convert to PDF like Phil said for distribution.

Hope this helps too.............
  19. Darwin

Darwin Member

To jump in with my two bits. Paint Shop Pro, Photoshop, etc., are first image editing programs and only as an afterthought a drawing program. What you want for your approach is a program that is a drawing program first and an image editing program as an afterthought. There are some good (and inexpensive) vector drawing programs on the net, but they do take a learning curve, and I've found not to be as intuitive to use for us drawing board types. The very best program I've found for what you want to do (import a scanned line drawing, then use the PC to crisp it up and do the painting) is a cheapie called Image Forge, put out by Cursor Arts. There is a freeware version that is still available from the various freeware/shareware warehouse sites. I think the last free version was about 3.64 or something like that. The paid version is Image Forge Pro, now up to about version 4.something. They may even have renamed to Image Forge Gold. The paid version is about $30 US for a non-commercial single user license. For our purposes, the only thing the freeware version doesn't do is import/export .gif files. The pay version has more bells and whistles for image processing (layers, etc.), but I have not found any need for those goodies for modeling work. As a warning, it is a memory hog, and I don't know if it plays well with Vista. It has worked with all previous versions of windows, but really needs LOTS of memory to handle letter-sized, 300 dpi images (256 meg is even a bit minimal, but absolutely ROCKS with my new 2 Gig machine). Some time ago (before the last website crash, so probably no longer around in the archives), I started some tutorials on using it for the purpose you are stating...and got about zero interest from the membership, so made no attempt to resurect the strings after the crash. Apparently, bitmap drawing programs just aren't sexy enough for new-wave designers who seem to totally poo-poo drafting approaches to model design. If some of the members really are interested in this kind of thing, I can revisit that effort and make some pdf tutorial files either posted as downloads here on cardmodelers or on an as-requested personal email basis. If there isn't a real interest, that's ok too....I have a workshop to get built this summer.
  20. Darwin

Darwin Member

To jump in with my two bits. Paint Shop Pro, Photoshop, etc., are first image editing programs and only as an afterthought a drawing program. What you want for your approach is a program that is a drawing program first and an image editing program as an afterthought. There are some good (and inexpensive) vector drawing programs on the net, but they do take a learning curve, and I've found not to be as intuitive to use for us drawing board types. The very best program I've found for what you want to do (import a scanned line drawing, then use the PC to crisp it up and do the painting) is a cheapie called Image Forge, put out by Cursor Arts. There is a freeware version that is still available from the various freeware/shareware warehouse sites. I think the last free version was about 3.64 or something like that. The paid version is Image Forge Pro, now up to about version 4.something. They may even have renamed to Image Forge Gold. The paid version is about $30 US for a non-commercial single user license. For our purposes, the only thing the freeware version doesn't do is import/export .gif files. The pay version has more bells and whistles for image processing (layers, etc.), but I have not found any need for those goodies for modeling work. As a warning, it is a memory hog, and I don't know if it plays well with Vista. It has worked with all previous versions of windows, but really needs LOTS of memory to handle letter-sized, 300 dpi images (256 meg is even a bit minimal, but absolutely ROCKS with my new 2 Gig machine). Some time ago (before the last website crash, so probably no longer around in the archives), I started some tutorials on using it for the purpose you are stating...and got about zero interest from the membership, so made no attempt to resurect the strings after the crash. Apparently, bitmap drawing programs just aren't sexy enough for new-wave designers who seem to totally poo-poo drafting approaches to model design. If some of the members really are interested in this kind of thing, I can revisit that effort and make some pdf tutorial files either posted as downloads here on cardmodelers or on an as-requested personal email basis. If there isn't a real interest, that's ok too....I have a workshop to get built this summer.