Question re colours

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Hi all

I'm painting my first steam loco - the President's Choice kit from this year. It's a 0-8-0 switcher, e-class I think, (threw out the box), number 8333. Built in 1927, by CN so they say. Anyway here's my question. Were the window frames in the cab painted red? I'm modelling the 1950's, so there may have been modifications since it was built. Any info on this loco would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
:D Val

i've seen steam engines with the red windows and white wheel trim but i can't remember if CP or CN and the class. But i will see if i can find some pics. i had some stored on a cd. i know u just about have ur paint job all done. But i would like to know about the colors too. :)

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
More info...

I am also interested in CN... can you tell?! I am modelling CN just after it was set up (1920s and 30s).

Anyway, another thought - wasn't CN into its green and yellow paint scheme in the 1950s with the "straightened" wafter and red maple leaf?

Maybe the yard switchers (especially steam ones) at this point in time would not be receiving much upkeep in the way of paint, so everything would be well worn.

Andrew

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Books

Val: Check the library for "Canadian National Steam Power" by Clegg and Corley. It may have some useful photos.
That's another book on my list of "Why didn't I buy it when it was available?"
I suspect a yard loco at that time would have any of the variations of black paint jobs, certainly not the green and gold. Probably all relettered by then from the predecessor roads.

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Andrew, thanks for the links. That CN SIG sure has a wealth of info. Still can't find much in colour though:( Also, on that very first site you mentioned I too and getting the "forbidden 303" message, which is too bad because it looks like those would be great pix. Maybe you have to be a member or something.

As far as steam switchers in the mid-1950's, I am assuming that by then they were just being "run into the ground" and scrapped when they no longer were worth keeping. So, no new paint jobs, no white wall tires, and probably very infrequent cleaning. I've painted my loco to look this way, but I'm still wondering about those windows - red or what?

Railery, it would be great if you can find something on that CD of yours!

David, the library is a very good suggestion. I'll try to pop by this weekend, though with Christmas shopping still not finished....

Still have some more questions as you can see from the photo below.
1. Is there a lighted number board here?
2. The window colour
3. What should I do about these wires - they don't look too good

cheers
:D Val

Attachments

• enginelabel.jpg
    enginelabel.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 88

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Looks Good

Wow... that engine looks good. I "think" I am receiving a P2K 0-6-0 for Christmas. If I'm down Toronto way, could you weather it for me?! My official excuse is that I don't have an air brush, but really I'm trying to work up the courage(!) ;)

I think you are right though - the steam switchers would probably have been "let go" except for critical maintenance on moving parts. You could always do a really dark red/black to show that the original paint has been blackened by years of soot, weather, etc.

Andrew

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Andrew, I like your idea about the blackened paint. If you are ever heading down Toronto way, send me an email or PM and I'll pass along my phone number. I'd be glad to weather your loco for you. Just need a little more practice on some cheapies first!

cheers
;) Val

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Missed your questions

I have to say - this thread is helping me A LOT with my own loco...

About Q#3 - wires. There were lots (well, some) of cables/air hoses/other connections between the loco and the tender. On my CN Pacific (#5125), I have managed to convince the wires to come out under the floor of the cab, and go in under the "coupler" of the tender. I am not sure if it is entirely protoypical, but it looks ok to me.

As far as your numbers go, check out www.larkspurline-trains.com and click on their ebay offerings. They had (recently) some scale brass numbers up for auction suitable for CN steamers.

Andrew

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Visit site
number boards

Val:
I just looked through some pictures, but I couldn't find any CNR switchers.
Mainline locos had a V shaped number board, illuminated, near the top of the smokebox door, exact position varied depending on whether there was a feedwater heater or other junk in front of the stack.
There was also a lovely cast brass number plate hanging below the headlight.
canadian
national
these used to be available as brass etchings. They are often available as full size castings. plates are red background with polished brass (I think) lettering.

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
David, thanks for trying. And thanks for the info! Do you think there would have been number boards where I've indicated on the photo? It's hard to see but on the actual model it looks like maybe there were.

cheers
;) Val

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Visit site
Val, lots of roads put number boards there on the side of the headlight, but CN seems to have put the headlight centred on the smokebox door. They put the numberboards up where your headlight is. If it looks like numberboards, you could try putting them in. Or not, if it's too hard. I probably wouldn't change the headlight, but then I haven't weathered anything either.
(remember, that's not a scale model of a CN unit.)