Question re applying Marlin Z isolator clips

Discussion in 'N / Z Scale Model Trains' started by Amazonas, Aug 21, 2007.

1. Amazonas

Amazonas New Member

Hello, I hope this isn't too much of a foolish newbie question :confused: but I'm trying to figure out how to apply the Marklin plastic isolator clips. There appears to be a wealth of 'how to' online but not for this.

I can see easily how it can be applied to the non fishplate rail but to the one with the fishplate? Does the fishplate need to be removed or does the clip fit between the fishplate and the next rail without any alteration to the standard track.

Thanks in advance for any informed responses.
  2. rhtastro

rhtastro Member

Ama, you have to remove it from both tracks in order for the plastic insulator clip to fit. Just yank it off with small pliers. Try not to damage it and save it in case you want to put it back sometime later. Also, remember you will need another transformer for that track that is isolated. That's the way to control several Z trains at the same time. I've had as many as 7 Marklin Z trains going all at the same time on 4 different isolated tracks. I usually used the insulators at the switches. Bob
  3. Amazonas

Amazonas New Member

Thanks for getting back to me.
    And after removing the fishplate presumably you just slide the connector on to both rails.... what was also puzzling me was that one side of the plastic connector seems longer than the other.
  4. rhtastro

rhtastro Member

That could be for a particular end of a particular type of switch. Otherwise, both sides should be about the same. Bob
  5. Amazonas

Amazonas New Member

Doesn't seem like it but I'll take a closer look at the weekend.
    One thing I don't think I realized, you keep a pair of them together, not cutting off the plastic between the two, I think......
  6. rhtastro

rhtastro Member

That sounds correct.
  7. nscaler711

nscaler711 Member

You guys the only Z-scalers here?
    I have sympathy for you all, i want to try Z but i dont think i am cut out for it yet....
  8. rhtastro

rhtastro Member

NS, we have sympathy for us too. But Z is fun. You need good eyesight to see them, but a lot of action can be found on a 3x5 Z setup. Actually you can do everything with Z that you can do with N or HO. Also, a lot of good equipment can be found for Z these days, including American sets. I've found that the Markliln stuff may still be the most reliable. Tracks, locos and couplers, etc. It's really changed in the last few years. By the way where is CO MO? Is that a place or what. Not trying to be funny, just wondering. Cheers, Bob
  9. nscaler711

nscaler711 Member

Just something we Columbia Missourians say!

Also i was thinking of using Z for a background, to stretch the view out a bit:mrgreen:
  10. rhtastro

rhtastro Member

Hey NS, good idea, you can put a whole town on a 12 ft. board when using Z with 8, 9 trains running at once. I've had 7. But it takes pretty good coordination to avoid crashes and a lot of transformers since it's only a DC setup.
  11. nscaler711

nscaler711 Member

any pics of your Z scale?
  12. rhtastro

rhtastro Member

Good question NS, but unfortunately I've dismantled my Z gauge setup but am starting a new one shortly. I'll keep you posted on that. I sold some and gave away the rest of my old European Z gauge stock to a grandson and bought new American style Z gauge trains for the new display. I'm going to use Marklin and Microtrains both for this. However, I've found that the Marklin stuff works better. I'll probably use Marklin locos and some of the microtrains rolling stock. I've got about 7 locos ready for it and quite a lot of rolling stock. I may go to one of those prefab plastic sets made for N and Z to save time. And then build it up from there. I like the "Silbertal" display by Noch as a starter. Do you know anythiing about those displays? Apparently you can extend them in either direction pretty easily. I printed out a track diagram for it from a web site and I think I already have most of the track and switches I need.
    I also do HO gauge and you can look at some pics of that on the HO section of the gauge. It's labelled "Pics of Equity Junction" and "More pics of E J" on the front section of the HO forum as of now. By the way I have a lot of UP stuff in both Z and HO as I noticed you're into that. They're my favorite too. Best, Bob
  13. nscaler711

nscaler711 Member

those sets i dont know much about but i am sure you can fit a two track main or three on an HO prefab set (without track or buildings) with Z. yea i think you can extend them, i am sure that they have a spur that goes to the edge on the sides (east, west sides)
    i will have to check out those pics !sign1

Well if you have time please feel free to check out my UP site.
    link in signature
  14. rhtastro

rhtastro Member

NS711, you have a nice forum site for UP fans. My membership is now pending. Bob
  15. nscaler711

nscaler711 Member

sorry i did not aprove your account earlier, i was doing something else *cough* School work *cough*