Question on Track Types

91rioja

Mar 18, 2006
High Point, NC
I diagramed my trackwork using Atlas RTS. Sine it is an Atlas product, all it offered in the way of track was the Atlas brand. So I used Customline Code 83 #4 and #6 turnouts. Now, I am thinking of using the Walthers/Shinohara DCC friendly #4 and #6 Code 83 instead of the Atlas ones. So the question is:

Should the turnouts be interchangable? Is a #4 a #4 across the board (yes, I know the Atlas #4 is actually a #4.5)? I have not layed any track yet, but I don't want to get into trouble when things don't fit right.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
I think it should work. If I remember correctly, the Shinohara #6 and the Atlas Custom line #6 will have the same footprint on the layout. The Atlas #4 (actualy a 4.5 as you pointed out) will be larger than the Shinohara #4, so that using flex track, you can easily fill any gaps to make the plan work. Peco is the only brand of turnout that is difficult to plan for because they all use the same frogs. They don't make a #4, #6, & #8, rather they have a short medium and long turnout. One thing that will help in building your layout is to get the turnouts first, and locate them on the benchwork first. Then connect them with flex track to make sure that you don't have any kinks or too tight radius curves.

Kanawha

Apr 1, 2007
Glendale, AZ
This years issue of Model Railroad Planning has an excellent table describing every dimension of all major turnout brands. I used it a few days ago to work on a pencil sketch for my new layout.