Question on painting a Campbell scale model bridge?

twilight

Nov 25, 2003
oaklyn,nj
Visit site
I've recently completed the small trestle bridge from Campbell Scale Models(and It looks pretty good if I do say so myself)sign1 . But my small dilemma is how to paint it?:confused: Specifically, how to match the ties to the ties of my flex track. My layout is in the building stages and I plan to detail my track too. I was going to use Floquil "Railroad Tie Brown" for my ties on the flextrack. But I've noticed that Minwax "Dark Walnut" stain looks great on a scrap piece of basswood for the trestle bridge.

I think I'm leaning to using the "railroad tie brown" for the bridge and painting the whole thing that color and the weathering it.

What would some of you guys do?

Markhamr

wickman

Dec 8, 2005
Ontario canada
Mark you may want to try a india ink wash on the campbell bridge , not sure about painting the ties you may want to just try it on some rail and see what you prefer. :wave:

jetrock

Dec 18, 2003
Visit site
The bridge might not necessarily be the same color as the ties. They might be close, but not necessarily the same color. My only bridge is spray-painted a grimy black and gray, fairly close to track color but a little bit off.

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Does the bridge have the "bridge ties" already in place, or do you lay the track right across? If you want a prototypical appearance, most tracks across bridges were spiked to bridge ties that were part of the structure of the bridge. They were usually oversized compared to regular ties, and also spaced much closer together.

To accomplish this, you will need some spikes, and then cut away a suitable length of ties from your flex (or sectional) track. Spike the track to the bridge, making sure it stays in gauge. Add guard rails (usually smaller Code rail) and there you are.

That way, you do not need to worry about matching the plastic tie colour from the flex track to the wood parts of the bridge... ;) :)

Andrew

Wingnut15

Jan 24, 2006
My Solution to Bridge Tie Painting

Hi,

I recently build two Campbell truss bridges for my layout. I used a dark walnut stain thinned down to a water consistancy. I put the ties in a an old pickle jar and added some stain to the jar. Shaking the jar (cap on helps) with the stain and ties produced nicely darken ties. Not too messy either. When done I stained the stain off into the can and dumpped the ties onto some paper towels. Blot them a little and separate them to dry. Don't worry if they stick together, they easily separate. Much better than painting each tie by hand.

Wingnut...