Question on making roads

foulrift

Bob
May 2, 2008
Phillipsburg,NJ
After reading many threads and mag.articles on making roads I decided that when it comes time to make mine I'm going to use .030 styrene.Making straight roads is a no brainer but a curved road is something else.My question is this-when doing a curved road how is the styrene cut so as not to mess up the road width?The way I figure it,the outside curve should be no problem-just trace a curve and cut it but it's the inside curve that has me stumped.This is where I figure you can screw up the road width.
I did a search in the forum but could not find what I needed.
Has anyone made their roads from styrene and how did you handle the curves?Any ideas,tips or suggestions will be appreciated.Bob :mrgreen:

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
I think I would make a template out of cardboard like what comes in shirts or from old cereal boxes. No need for corrugated. The advantage of cardboard is that you can throw it away and make new templates if you mess up. When you have it right, use the pattern to trace the inside and outside of the curve on the styrene. I have not tried cutting a curve in styrene, but have found that if I don't have a sturdy edge to cut against, the knife blade tends to wander. I think putting masking tape on both sides of the styrene and using a jig saw or scroll saw might be the best way to do it.