question on C&O engines

bigsteel

Call me Mr.Tinkertrain
did the chessie system still have deisel engines with original C&O RR markings along with there new chessie system loco's? and was the chessie around in the sixties?,if not, when?and one more question,what types of 2nd gen locos did the C&O have along with the chessie system?
any help is great see yall later:wave:

nkp174

The Chessie system was formed in 1972. Once a merger occurs on paper, railroads rarely are in a hurry to repaint locomotives to the new company name...painting trains cost thousands of dollars per locomotive/car.
I can't really provide much insight into 2nd generation desiels...I love C&O steam, but I don't care for desiels. If you go into Davis Electronics in Milford, ask for Jim Corbitt. He's a C&O afficianato...and very knowledgable.

Good to see another Cincinnatian on this forum!

bigsteel

Call me Mr.Tinkertrain
i was wondering if anyone had any pics of road switchers c&O had in the late 60's.i have one train and im not sure what it is or when it was used .im pretty sure its very common in the kit layouts in hobby stores it has 4 wheels on each side has the chessie symbol on the front and has chessie system written on the side. i want to use it on my late 60's layout and wasnt sure if i could Oh and it also has small B&O print on the cab.
thanks for the help:wave:

P.S its cool i finally found someone from cincinnati. i live in greentownship.great to hear from you nkp174

chessie4155

These should help you some. They have just about every Engine Chessie System had.
http://www.trainweb.org/chessiephotos/ this link is THE best for Chessie info
http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/ this is THE best for just about everything else
I hope this helps you out.

It sounds like you have the LL GP38-2. That engine would be for the 72 to 86 era , not the 60s. Also if it is the 4810 , 4810 was never painted into the Chessie System paint. But hey it's your railroad, have fun with it. Thats the golden rule of this great hobby, having fun! :thumb:

bigsteel

Call me Mr.Tinkertrain
thanks for the sites guys those are great research sites.i personally thought it was a gp-35 but i never thought of an sd-45 chessie.but thanks for all the help ill check it when i gwt home to be sure but im still pretty sure its an sd-45 but tks fo all the help guys.:wave:

nkp174

If it has 4 axles, it isn't an SD-45. SD-45's were/are 6 axled desiels...a bit large for a trainset. Trainsets usually include 4 axled desiels such as F-units, GPs, or switch engines. Do you have a particular plan for modelling the Chessie System? (such as a strong reason to model the late '60s or a particular local?) You also might want to take a stroll down to the Cincinnati Railroad Club's Tower A library (there's a sign & an elevator next to the Omnimax entrance at Union Terminal...open Saturdays 10-4 and most weds after 8)...they have many, many books. I highly recommend C&O Power Steam & Desiel Locmotives of the Chesapeake and Ohio Railway 1900-1965. The Hamilton Co Library doesn't have it (although my home county's library did), but Middletown or others might too....I know the CRRC has it in their library.

bigsteel, I live in Clifton Heights (I bought a home near UC for grad school)...I can hear squeals from Queensgate daily...shame the city didn't ask the C&O for one of their unique engines to display (L-2 Hudson, big mikado, 0-10-0, T-1).

bigsteel

Call me Mr.Tinkertrain
Hey guys thanks for the help! those were some great sites.i was wondering if you guys knew of a sit with a deisel roster for the 1962-72 B&O,C&O,and chessie system railroads it would be a great guidline for buying locos:wave:

chessie4155

Big Steel, Which era are you wanting to model? 1962 to 1972 would be the C&O/B&O era,
1972 to 1986 would be the Chessie era and 1986 to today is the CSX era. You would still have C&O B&O and WM painted equipment during the Chessie era and in to the early years of CSX.