Question of the day Nov 6, -how much?

ezdays

Out AZ way
For today, we are asking you:

What's the most expensive single piece of railroad equipment you own, be it a part of your layout, an engine or some RR memorabilia?

Come on now, we all have something we are proud to own, or maybe something we grossly overpaid for, who cares, just list it here...:wave: :wave:

ezdays

Out AZ way
I have been somewhat lucky, and a bit frugal, in what I buy. I've got a lot of used locos and some cheaper brand new LL diesels that I bought when Model Expo was closing out their RR stock. Probably the most expensive item I have is an N scale Atlas dash-8-40 that still cost less than $100.

TrainNut

Ditat Deus
ezdays said:
What's the most expensive single piece of railroad equipment you own...
To directly answer the question, that would be one of my N scale factory equipped DCC locomotives. However, in the near future, I am expecting an order from Precision Craft to be filled... an N scale, DCC, PA/PB engine/dummy set, painted with the warbonnet colors, WITH SOUND! I will also be needing a basic Digitrax DCC system for my layout in the near future. I'm not sure which of those will cost more. I'm afraid to think about it. Santa are you listening?

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
My Sunset Models, B&O El3a, 2-8-8-0. It was almost as much as both of the Sumpter Valley 2-6-6-2's !!!!

shaygetz

I generally have a $40 rule...it can be done. I broke it on three locos, a Bachmann 80 ton shay painted for the Cass Scenic Railway in honor of my late father, $140. That was followed by a Big Boy that I had purchased from a Gauger, $125. After the Post Office played warehouse hockey with the package:curse: , I promised my beloved I'd never break my $40 rule again. My only other one that breaks the rule is my Athearn Hustler. By the time I regeared, remotored, redetailed and installed DCC and LED lighting, I had about $75 into it but, that was all done over an 11 year period. Ounce for ounce, it is easily my most expensive loco but I had a blast doing it.

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
My Rivorossi Big Boy.
Then the two SD70's Better-Half bought me for my birthday. One I painted in New Haven colors(and you've seen in some of my pics) the other one was in BNSF "Heritage" theme. Loved the paint, left it as is.

nolatron

My Aristo-Craft Dash 9 with it's USA Trains intermodal set. Pricey for a set that sits on the way on display, but boy do they look good :)

Pooh Bah
That would be hard to say. Probably the most expensive one relative to my salary at the time was my brass CPR Jubilee, but I think that was about $140 in the early 70s.
It was years before I spent that much again -- I think that would be my Wrenn Duchess of Atholl.