Question of the day, 11-21- train shows

ezdays

Out AZ way
Here's are question for today, we all are interested in models and trains of sort, old or new, so:

Do you go to train shows or train swap meets? If you do go, do you attend once-in-a-while or do you try to get to them all? What's the longest distance you have to drive to get there?

oldtanker

I'm going to my first in St Cloud Mn on the 2nd of Dec. It's about 90 miles. Now that I'm back in the hobby I can see myself going as far as the Twin Cities for one.

Rick

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
I drove past a few this weekend that were a good 4-5 hour drive from home... :( :cry:

The furthest I have gone regularly (i.e. annual shows) is about 1/2 hour drive or less than 50km.

Andrew

ezdays

Out AZ way
I try to go to every local show I can. The longest I have driven is the one up in Prescott which is about 100 miles and two hours away. Both the one up in Adobe Mountain RR park and the one up on Central Ave. in Phoenix are about a 45 minute drive. There hasn't been a national show here in a good four years and I'm waiting for one of them to show up.

lionelfan

Luckly there are a number of trainshows/swapmeets in greater Cleveland Ohio area, so I do not need to travel far. I try to go to a few, trouble is some are close in dates and the same vendors are at each show, so you see the same merchandise again. I would say I go to 5-6 shows from October to April.

Iron Goat

Kansas City is fortunate to have about 6 shows locally each year, and I try to make all of them, and the farthest I have driven to another show, is to the St. Louis Divisional NMRA show. The Divisional/Regional NMRA shows seem to be the best bang for the buck, so far.

Bob

Stuart

HI..

I try and go to all I can but sometimes I can't, Hmm traveled to a show would be about 600kms.. had nothing to do that week-end, great show but..

Stuart

jetrock

I try to make it to the big annual show which happens around 10 miles away, and sometimes to the smaller club show, about the same distance, although next year I may be there as a vendor rather than as a shopper. I doubt I would drive very far away just to go to a train show, but if I happened to be in town that weekend anyhow I might schedule things so I can visit...

Play-Doh

Living here in Portalnd OR I assumed they would be more frequent. I called my LHS today to ask them when and where the next one is and was told that they are few and far between here. Not one scheduled till next march.

Jim Krause

There are three annual train shows/swapmeets here in Montana that I know of. The closest is 70 miles from home the one in Billings is 350 miles. I occasionally make it to the closest one. Typical driving distances in this part of the country.

Pooh Bah
If you look at Chris's thread you can see that I go to shows.
Farthest I've driven? 250 miles or so to Ottawa -- made a weekend of that.
I've gone to trains shows in Florida, but that wasan extra on the trip.
I've taken the train for 3 days to go to a NMRA convention.

65GASSER

I've never been to a show but I am planning on attending the next one at the Cotton Belt Museum here in Pine Bluff, AR. I love going there, old steamer 819 is a awesome site to see! The museum is the same building the 819 was built in, its just awesome to see it all.
Sorry I kinda got off subject there. :D

Peter Sardagna

Never been to a show -- I don't have much interest in the equipment/commercial side of the hobby...
(If I have two good running locos and a few cars, I'm a Happy Man!)

Collyn

Iron Goat said:
Kansas City is fortunate to have about 6 shows locally each year, and I try to make all of them, and the farthest I have driven to another show, is to the St. Louis Divisional NMRA show. The Divisional/Regional NMRA shows seem to be the best bang for the buck, so far.
I went to alot when I lived in kansas city (overland park to be exact) but since i moved to colorado I havent been to any.wall1

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
I go to the swap meet held annually at the Minnesota Fair Grounds and sometimes to meets at the Woodbury high school. I like finding deals. This year's Fair Ground meet had some operating layouts including a cool modular one with local scenes faitfully represented.
Ralph

Illus

I feel lucky! We usually have 6 or 7 shows a year here! I mean small, local shows, not the arena sized Greatest Hobby show, but smaller church filling, or school gym shows. Usually only $2 or $3 entry. I am planning on going to one this weekend, if time allows. I usually drive 20 or 30 minutes. I haven't been to one since I converted from O gauge to HO, so my wife will be going to rein me in:)