Question for the Christmas weekend 12-22 through 12-25

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Here is the last of our Christmas questions. It's a toughy though since we need an explaination for your answer.

Deep down in your heart, do you believe in Santa Claus? And why or why not?

Yeah, yeah, I know, for years people, especially adults, have tried to disprove his existence as a myth. But some of us are so blessed this time of the year, be it because we worship the Christ child, or because we believe in some fantasy of a being that would be disappointing for us not to accept as real. Regardless, it's faith and love that keeps this myth a reality for some. Are you one of those???

Regardless of what your answer is,

MERRY CHRISTMAS
TO YOU ONE AND ALL
...:wave: :wave:

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
Dec 20, 2000
South Eastern, PA
mywebpages.comcast.net
Yes, but not in the man with the red suit....... "They" are not only around in December either....

~ S/He's the person that gives you a jump in July when your car wont start

~ S/He's the person that sneaks a bit more pepperoni on your pizza, since you are a regular customer

~ S/He's the trash collector that makes sure your trash can is set back "Just right" so as not to cause you any aggravation

~ S/He's the person (Friend or family) that lends you money when you are desperate

~ S/He's the member of The Gauge that does something so utterly simple in their eyes, that makes your day go just a bit nicer - so it's a "big thing" to you.

~ S/He is "you" the person that goes "way - out of your way" to help someone, that has a personal problem - and you continually tell them it was nothing... no trouble at all... even though you "gave something up" to help them....................................

C

Catt

I couldn't add a thing to what Mikey said.It can't be said any other way as far as I'm concerned.:)

Catt in Sliver City remembering the reason for this season.

steamhead

Apr 16, 2005
Brownsville, TX
I guess all of us have had to answer our kids' inevitable question about Santa. This is what I told my eldest son when he was about 7 yrs. old.

I told him that Santa does exist. That he is not the man in the red suit. Santa lives in all of us, and it's up to us to give of ourselves, and not just at Christmas time. That we need to give all year round and not necessarily expect to receive in return.

He seemed OK with that, although a little perplexed, he seems to have absorbed it, and now it's his turn to Santa into an everyday occupation.

And a Merry Christmas to All...!!!! sign1

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
After reading Mikey's description I now realize that I DO believe in Santa Claus...and will try to be him as much as I can.

Funny how expectation can effect a kid. As a five year old I woke up in the middle of the night Christmas Eve and it was very dark. I could have sworn I heard a noise in the livingroom so I got up and found the presents under the tree. I believed then that I had JUST missed Santa! It was magical.

Ralph

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
How real Santa Claus is depends on your faith in mankind. I can remember the year that I had doubts. I found some items put under the tree by “Santa” was the same items that I saw a few days earlier peeking out of a bag that my folks had just brought home. That kind of spoiled things for me, I was disappointed that my parents tried to fool me, that is, until years later when I realized that they were just helping Santa get a head start on his rounds. I remember going to the department store and waiting in line to visit “Santa”, he was pleasant enough, just that I wondered why he gave me such a cheap gift, when he was due by my house in a few days. I’ve thought about this a lot and over the years and I concluded that Santa is not the guy in the red suit trying to sell everything from soft drinks to automobiles, expensive toys to cake mix nor is he the guy jumping out of an airplane with a parachute at a football game. He’s not the guy with his picture on the ad for the latest video game or that scraggly guy in the department store giving out gifts and listening to your wants, all for a price. Santa is indeed that jolly guy in the red suit decorated with white fur, or maybe he’s got a green suit and is skinny. It depends on what you believe and where you or your folks came from. However, make no mistake, he is real. He’s the one that inspired my parents to help him out, just to make my Christmas a happy one. He’s the one that inspires many folks to do without, just so their kids can have a gift of sorts for Christmas. He’s the one that motivates folks like firefighters and policemen to spend their time and money making sure that some needy family or some tot in the hospital has some semblance of a decent Christmas or is fed that day, then go spend their Christmas day working to protect us all. He’s the guy that inspired hordes of other folks to give up the holiday so that they make sure others have their needs filled, be it by conducting religious services or simply volunteering at the local shelter to distribute gifts and dinner or even just standing on the street corner with a kettle and a bell looking for donations.

To me, Santa Claus is that one being that is in the hearts and minds of us all, he is the one that causes Christmas to be a time of giving, a time of hope and charity by those that give and ask nothing in return but the pleasure to do these things for others. I’ve never seen Santa, in spite of what all those marketing experts want me to believe. He’s not the guy in the ads, or even the one up there on the sleigh at the Thanksgiving Day parades, he’s not visible nor does he reside at the North Pole, he is in my mind and lives in the hearts of all these people that do good things for others just to make at least one day of the year special for them all.

yellowlynn

Jul 7, 2001
Whitehouse, Tx USA
Visit site
I read the first entry for this thread, and a myriad of thoughts flew thru my mind. I will miss names, but Gus, Ray, Don, Mikey, Ralph, et al, have really said it all perfectly. What a joy it is to be a member of this forum, with so many members so full of insight.

God bless you, each and every one, and

Merry Christmas

91rioja

Mar 18, 2006
High Point, NC
EZ, you certainly came up with a great question to provoke thought in oneself.

I would have to say that I do not believe in the secular representation of the Santa Claus; I did, at one time, just like most children did. Let's just say that the myth was proven wrong about the man that represented Santa Claus when I learned of his true identity. But, there always is a but. . .

Pre-Christian Germanic peoples recognized Odin and his flying horse Sleipnir; children would leave goodies for Odin's horse, and in return for the childrens kindness, Odin would leave them gifts. Early Christianity recognized Saint Nicholas, a Byzantine Bishop, who gave gifts to needy and suffering people. Other peoples also recognize someone who do kind things for others around them. In each story, there is one underlying theme; kindness and goodness.

While I do not believe in the big man in the funny red suit, I do believe in the spirit and the meaning of his secular representation. This is the time where we do things to help out our fellow humankind; we do it out of the kindness of our hearts and expect nothing in return. If we help but one person, we may just be able to be their Santa Claus, to give them something to believe in.

That is what I believe about the man in the red suit.