Question for subscribers to Railroad Model Craftsman

Jac's Lines

Jan 28, 2005
Rochester, NY
Has anyone who subscribes received the Oct 2006 issue (with the RIT club on the cover). For some reason I seem to be missing delivery on RMC -- the September issue never arrived either -- and I wanted to make sure the Oct issue has been mailed out before I complain again. Alternately, if anyone has seen a copy on the shelf at their LHS. Thanks in advance!

-Joe

joephillippi

Jun 3, 2004
Jac's Lines said:
Has anyone who subscribes received the Oct 2006 issue (with the RIT club on the cover). For some reason I seem to be missing delivery on RMC -- the September issue never arrived either -- and I wanted to make sure the Oct issue has been mailed out before I complain again. Alternately, if anyone has seen a copy on the shelf at their LHS. Thanks in advance!

-Joe
My Sept iisue was late(ish). spoke with mgmt in early sept. they noted that they get their issues often late as well. Sept. finally arrived @ 9/7. This is a smll operation vs MR, but you gotta love their historical pieces and the guys who SUPER detail freight cars, etc.

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
I got mine, too.
Hey, Joe, welcome to the Gauge. :wave: I agree with your thoughts on RMC: not as glamorous as MR, but lots of good solid information, both on modelling and on prototypes. I always enjoy the feature articles, where they look at a subject in depth, sometimes over 2 or 3 issues. Bob Walker's column on scratchbuilding provides good material for both novice and pro, and Keith Wills offers an interesting monthly look at the history of our hobby, through his "Collectors Consist". My favourite, though, is Ted Culotta's ongoing "Essential Freight Cars", a "must read" for anyone modelling the transition era (or earlier). Another positive aspect, at least for me, is their frequent articles on Canadian subjects, which gives more than a passing nod to the fact that railroading here, both real and modelled, is part of a continent-wide system.
When I retired, I had to decide which of my train magazines I could afford to continue receiving. RMC and Classic Trains stayed, along with the occasional issue of Mainline Modeler, while MR and Trains were dropped. I do continue to follow the latter two online.

Wayne

abutt

Jan 11, 2006
NW CT, USA
Got mine right on time. Now let's see how they handle a change of address. I dropped MR quite a while ago in favor of RMC. I feel they're less commercial, less "slick" and written more to the seasoned model railroader. I would recommend it to new railroaders over any of the competition because of this reason. A closely knit family operation for years. Hal Carstens has just appointed his son Henry to lead the Magazine and give him more time to play. Hal has known all the "idols" of our hobby, modellers, the old time businesses that served so well all these years. That knowledge comes through in the publication.:thumb:

ScottyB

Dec 12, 2004
Mount Pleasant, WI
I'm with Allen. I still keep my MR subscription, but RMC is what I look forward to receiving the most. Not as many flashy graphics as MR, but the story quality and photo quality are excellent.

Scott