Question for Shamus . . .

rockislandmike

Nov 6, 2001
Edmonton AB
dayfornight.qazam.com
and any other logging experts.

I'm going to have a mining run that climbs up one side of my layout, with a coal mine at the summit of the line. However, the mine isn't going to take up as much room as I originally thought, and there will be some room partway up the run for an additional industry.

The one industry that makes sense to me is logging, but I'm not sure what I could fit into the space - it'll be about 8" x 14" max, I'm thinking. Could any of you logging experts give me a suggestion as to what I could model in that area in the way of a small logging enterprise????

PS - I model 1980, HO scale, Pacific Northwest.

PPS - also gives me an excuse to use some of Walt's stumps!

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
You could model the area where flat car, or box car loads of rough cut lumber are set out for transport by rail to a finishing mill, with both actaul industries "offline".
Mower lumber used hand pushed narrow gauge carts, and a transfer table to move rough cut lumber into the yard for storage, and drying before shipping out. Flat cars were used on the property for load movements, and box cars got the final load which then went out on the C & O.
Pete

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Mike:
are you looking for an industry to deliver cars to or just a piece of scenery? A logged over area that's just recovering would let you use all the stumps and then some very small trees and bushes starting among them. Maybe the remains of a spur...switch ties in the mainline and ballast trail and broken ties through the stumps.

next article: start with a stump and grow a tree on it.

rockislandmike

Nov 6, 2001
Edmonton AB
dayfornight.qazam.com
Preferably "car delivery", but again, I'm not really sure how much space will be available, and I understand logging's one of those things that takes up a lot of room (although sumpter's idea is a good one too).

I think I'll lay the turnout, and then see how much space is left once the coal mine is finished. If there's room, I'll build a spur. If not, I'll use your idea..................

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Hi Michael,
You could also do something on the lines of this photo taken from Badger Creek, it is only 15" wide amd 3'-6" long. I know you have less space, but even a single track modelled on these lines would make a super addition.
Shamus
bigst09s.jpg

Coke Ovens

Mike, I didn't respond to your question yesterday because I wanted to mull over some possibilities. As a logging modeler, several ideas came to mind, but none of them seemed to work.

What does seem to work - in my mind, at least - is the thought of several coke ovens. How "old" is your coal mine? If it dates back to even 60 years ago, a string of coke ovens - perhaps no longer operational since you're modeling 1980 - would be appropriately located downgrade from the mine. If you model them as a "bank" of ovens, you could also have lary tracks running across the top to recharge the ovens with small coal gons/cars. It's a great modeling subject, it lends itself well to scenic treatment, and it opens up some operational opportunities for car movements, if you wish.

Tyson Rayles

Sep 25, 2001
Poverty Acres, North Carolina
Visit site
Mike another possibilty is a pulpwood siding. All you need is one spur, a small woodframe building for the office, a front end loader and a couple of stake bed trucks. And pulpwood makes for some interesting loads. Around here they use gons, hoppers, flats or whatever else that is handy.