Question for Nov 16/17 Choose from column A or B...

ezdays

Out AZ way
We're a bit late today, so let's let this question go for a day and a half.

Let's say your train piggy bank is full and you open it to find you have more cash in it than you thought. You have enough to buy that really slick, highly detailed steam engine you've been drooling over, but not so quick. You could instead buy a couple of really nice engines for the same amount, or even quite a few reasonably decent engines and some other stuff and still have enough left over for an ice cream cone. What a dilemma.:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

The question: If you could buy one really good engine, or two nice engines, or four reasonably decent engines or possibly even six engines that were at least acceptable, and do only one of these things with the money from your piggy bank, which would you choose? Extra credit if you tell us why you would make that choice.

Herc Driver

Geez...that's a hard question....Hmmmmmmm. Lemme get back to you on this one. I mean if you asked something simple like define quantum mechanics or explain the universe that'd be a sinch...but choose how many diesels I'd buy with a set amount of money...now that's hard.

I would have to go for the really nice engine. I am strictly DC, have piles of engines, but only one with QSI sound. I would like to have a steamer with sound. Other than that, I am Blessed to have virtually everything else I would want. Either that, or I'm easy to please.

Lynn

91rioja

That's pretty easy. I'd go for two nice diesels with DCC and sound. Why? Well, I don't run steam first of all, and two is always better than one. For whatever reason, I tend to buy in pairs. The Norfolk and Western looks great running in pairs. Last purchase was 2 high hood GP-30's with DCC and sound; before that was 2 GP-35's with quick plugs (I've since then installed decoders).

Well, that was an easy one. . .

oldtanker

Four decent engines, I'm just getting back into the hobby plus it would give me something to tinker with...and I love to tinker with motors, gas engines and anything else mechanical or electrical.

Just wish some of you guys with all the track planning and scenery know how would move up here to west MN so I could learn from your layouts!

Rick

Herc Driver

Ok...I've decided. I'd take the two nice diesels. Why? I like to buy them in pairs anyway and hook multiple company/units up. We see it all the time around here as I'm sure most do anywhere in the country. And right now, I can't afford the high end Nscale with sound and DCC.

C

Catt

Actually none of the above gets my vote.I have more very nice locos now than I will ever need.

What I would spend that money on is more buildings and vehicles and scenery materials.

ezdays

Out AZ way
I've given this a lot of thought, and I guess it's really a no-brainer. I've got lots of cheap engines I bought new, LL, Bachmann and stuff I've picked up at a train show that looked like it went through every war ever fought. I've got a lot of "nice" engines, Riverossi, Trix, Atlas, but nothing I'd be bragging about like I would if I had one great, top-of-the-line, exquisitely detailed most expensive N scale my piggy bank could afford. Steam or diesel on my layout? Who cares, I'd probably be afraid to take it out of the case and run that sucker anyway....:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

kitsune

One

Good

Engine.

There's no point in having tons of junk. And once you get quality, you'll never regret having it.

Twiget

Yep have to agree. Go for the one great locomotive. Ill take quality over quantity any time.
Aloha
Tom

Jim Krause

I'm on a self imposed moritorium as far as rolling stock is concerned. Until I get the scenery and details under control, I would probably leave that money in the piggy bank.

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
I would go with the one really good engine too. I would choose to get a Tower 55 engine with DCC and Sound. I have been drooling over those awsome and sweet diesels for some time now and I want a few of them sooooooooooo bad. Great Question, I wish it was true!!

TrainNut

Ditat Deus
TruckLover said:
I would go with the one really good engine too. I would choose to get a Tower 55 engine with DCC and Sound. I have been drooling over those awsome and sweet diesels for some time now and I want a few of them sooooooooooo bad. Great Question, I wish it was true!!
Me too! I just had to cancel my order for that HO Tower 55 DCC with sound because the extra money in my piggy bank suddenly needed to go in 15 other directions.

Illus

I guess it would depend on what I had to run it/them on. If I needed a set of engines to haul a heavy coal train to the top of the mountain, then 2 good DCC with sound, but if I just needed one nice passenger engine...

doctorwayne

Hah! Not much chance of there being more in the piggybank than expected, so it's a good thing that I don't need anymore locomotives. Or freightcars, passenger cars, or really anything else. Maybe a few scratchbuilding supplies or detail parts, but nothin' major. I guess I must've spoiled myself earlier in life,:D and that's why there's no loot left in the piggybank.:)

Wayne

Iron Goat

I would have to go with the one really good locomotive.... always go for a quality item if you can afford to do so, and later on you'll have no regrets.

Bob

I'm with Jim Krause on this one, I'd leave the money in the piggybank for now. However if you really twisted my arm, I'd go for a pair of really nice diesels.