Question for a newbie

buffalo bob 52

Apr 30, 2006
central Ct.
I have started collecting bits and pieces for a hollow core door layout (live in a condo room is a problem). My question is roundy round or point to point? I am still not sure how I want to "play" with my layout. I don't think watching a few trains go around a circle will do much for me but I'm not sure if I have either the skill or ability to get involved with couple and uncoupling for each run. I can't seem to figure out the best way to drop off loads and grab empties. Do you pick them up with your hands and put them back where they started or back them up? Every time I think about just putting something down to run on I start reading again.

At this time I'm thinking of putting 2 micro layouts from Micro / Small Layouts - Micro/Small Layouts for Model Railroads - on each end of the door and adding a double main line to connect them? IS THIS A GOOD IDEA?

Thanks for any help - I love reading all your info - it has been very helpful but I guess I get confused easily.

Bob

Triplex

Aug 24, 2005
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Having two ovals or whatever side by side is most conducive to "roundy-round" running. I find it destroys the illusion.

If you have a mine/etc that loads open-top cars, the old standby is to have a hidden connection to the consumer so loads and empties can be swapped. This does require that you have both ends of the journey on the layout, which may not be a good idea on a small layout.

I'd like to know more about what you want from a layout. Also, how large of a door is this?

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Bob: with closed cars (e.g. boxcars) we just pretend that they are unloaded.
With open cars (hopper, gondolas, flat cars) we may make loads that can be removed or added. or have duplicate cars that can be substituted when no-one's looking. or the loads/empties pairs as Triplex said.

Or other variations. I was a guest operator switching once and I went in to pick up a car from an industry. As I was taking it out I received a "radio" message from the dispatcher that the customer hadn't finished unloading it yet (the load was still glued down!) and I has to put it back.

buffalo bob 52

Apr 30, 2006
central Ct.
Hi All,
My hollow core door is 30x80 - I really like point to point better then roundy round and figure one industry on each end will be ok. I like the box cars or maybe tank cars to take care of empties and loads - good idea. I have never been to a session or had a real layout before, so this is all new to me. I think I would enjoy picking up and dropping off cars.

I have 12 nickel code 80 pcs of flex, 2 24 inch x 27 circles, and 4 left and 4 right hand switches. I want to nail some track down even if I rip it up to start over. This planning seems to be the hard part.
Thank again for all your posts - Hard to tell you how much I have learned from everyone here.
Bob