Question: Digitrax Cheif with a DT200 Controller

johngraser

I have a friend that would like to sell me a Digitrax Chief with a DT200 controller (Instead of the usual (DT100, DT300 or DT400).

Questions:
1. What is it worth with a DT200 Controller? I have seen Chiefs with a DT400 for around $350.

2. Is their any issue with using the DT200 as the only/main controller other then possible limiting the number of loco to 99?

I would probably purchase a DT400 at some later time but want to make sure the chief is usable with only a DT200. From what I heard, the LHS sold the original controller to another customer then sold the chief with the DT200.

Bikerdad

Consider the base cost of a Chief unit MINUS the cost of the controller that comes with the Chief starter set today. That's your "MSRP", and from there you calculate the value based on how frugal you are, how good of a friend he is, how difficult it will be to get another controller if necessary, the condition of the unit, etc.

Gary Pfeil

The DT200 was supplied with the least expensive original Digitrax starter sets, can't recall what it was called. Unlike the Chief, this set depended on the DT200 as part of the "brains" of the system. With a Chief it will operate the same as a DT100. Which is to say it'll work just fine. I bought my Chief maybe five years ago and I used a pair of DT100's for quite some time before the DT300 and then 400 were made. I prefer the small size of the 100's and 300's over the 400. Perhaps just because I used the 100's for so long, I still prefer using them, letting visitors use the others.

As far as price is concerned, the DT200's and 100's are considered pretty much obsolete by many, I'm guessing they can be had on ebay for around $50, maybe less, you can check there. The DCS100 itself can be bought new form Tony's for $226.00 (from a year old flyer I have in my desk) So I'd say about $225 would be a fair price for the two items.

johngraser

Thanks for the ideas and sugestions. I'll have to try it out see how it works. He hasen't used it since it was purchased, since now he planning on a NCE system.

John