Question about SP passenger cars.

KentBy

GN, NP, SP&S
I want to model (HO) some SP passenger trains and can't find out what would be correct for the mid 50's. I am thinking that both steam and diesel would have been used, but what about the cars? Would they be heavy weight (green) or streamline?
Would both be used in that period?

Would they ever have been mixed in the same consist?

Kent

Russ Bellinis

I don't know about SP, but I suspect the situation would be similar to the Santa Fe. I think the Daylight, and the Lark at least would always run the newest streamline equipment painted in Daylight colors for the Daylight, not sure of colors for the Lark, I seem to remember it being painted red & silver. Any other high profile passenger train would also run the most modern equipment. Secondary passenger trains might well run a mix of streamlined and heavy weight equipment.

jetrock

Exactly. Streamlined cars in Daylight scheme on the mainline long-distance passenger runs, heavyweights on commuter service.

railohio

There's a two volume set on Southern Pacific passenger service published by Four Ways West that would answer these questions and then some.

~BS

nkp174

Typically the top tier trains had the newest equipment. The secondary trains had second tier equipment...and on down the line.

If you're dealing with branchline trains...I think MDC's Harrimman cars would be serviceable...even though they have their problems.

Most railroads ran "mixed" consists of heavyweight and lightweight cars. Actually, many railroads never bought lightweight (streamlined) headend cars or diners. Many also "modernized" heavyweight cars to look like lightweights...but still be cheaper. On premier trains, commonly the consist was completely lightweight.

Here's a handy link for SP in N-scale
SP prototype non-brass N Models

Triplex

Most passenger trains would be dieselized by this time. The last long-distance run behind steam was in '56.