Question about power, or lack off.

I finish laying my track for the first stage of my layout. But when I added the power pack nothing happens, I know the power pack works I have tested it on an oval.
I may be answering my own question but I will ask anyway. Looking at the picture below you will see I have the power pack conected in section A. Do I need to wirer sections B, C and D as well?

Thanks

my%20plan1.JPG

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
jasbourre said:
I finish laying my track for the first stage of my layout. But when I added the power pack nothing happens, I know the power pack works I have tested it on an oval.
I may be answering my own question but I will ask anyway. Looking at the picture below you will see I have the power pack conected in section A. Do I need to wirer sections B, C and D as well?

Thanks
First thing, is do you have B. C and D insulated from A? If not, you are causing your power pack to short out and you get nothing. You can check this by isolating those sections one at a time.

seanm

Oct 11, 2004
Sunny CA
www.pegnsean.net
B and C are reversing sections and need to be delt with in some way. If this is DC, you will need something to change the polarity of the rest of the layout while the train is IN the reversing section. This is usually done with a DPDT switch. There are LOTS of good books about this situation. I think Atlas has one that describes it pretty well. If this is DCC you need to isolate the reverse sections and power them with a reverser. There are several on the market.

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
jasbourre said:
I have nothing insulated, actually I'm not even sure how to insulated these sections. Would that be plastic rail joiners, and if they are how would I get power to that section?

By the way this is my first layout. (Can you tell)

:confused:
What you have is a direct short because both the B and C sections are basically revers loops. What you need are plastic rail joiners to isolate them from each other. You have to put power to each of these sections separately, usually through a polarity-reversing switch.

For now, disconnect one end of both B and C and see that your train will run around A. D does not need to be isolated right now, but you will want it to be since you will want to park trains there and be able to disconnect power to it while you are running on the other tracks.