Question about making wheels

Discussion in 'Tips, Tutorials & Tools' started by jlinscheid, Jul 27, 2005.

1. jlinscheid

jlinscheid Member

I'm having a bit of trouble making wheels to my satisfaction.

I always seem to have a bit of a gap in the tire's tread when I'm done. It's only perhaps 1mm-2mm, and so far I've been able to hide it with another part, but am not really satisfied with the results, and I'm sure that being able to hide it is the exception rather than the rule.

I've run into this building Nobi's T-55 and currently on the ICM Paper Modeling's Pzr IV Ausf,D

Do you guys generally glue the tread into a ring before attaching the "hub", or (as I've been doing) glue the tread to the hub hoping it will match up in the end?

I suspect that I may not be trimming the hub portion as much as I should. When I cut the part out I cut the white outside the part away leaving the black line in place. Is this making my wheel too big, thus causing the gap? Should I be removing the black line as I cut instead of cutting outside of it? I guess that question would apply to all parts, not just wheels.

Also, I see 2 ways of gluing the tread to the hub as shown below. I'm not sure which method I should be using...

Method A:

HTTTT
    H
    H
    H
    HTTTT

Method B:

TTTTT
    H
    H
    H
    H
    H
    TTTTT

I hope this makes some sense.

Thanks!
    James
  2. Boris

Boris Member

Hi guys
    to jlinscheid
    I tried both methods that you've mentioned, forme the first works better, specially if the edges are painted. About thread length, yes, I trim it in order to be ring with exact diameter as the hub.
    About black lines - it's allways a problem. Usually I try to fit the diameter of the hub to the model's size
    Hope it helps
    Boris
  3. charliec

charliec Active Member

I usually make the tread part as a ring first. I usually use a circle cutter with scrap card to get the exact size of disk to fit the ring then cut out the circular parts using that size. This gets around the problem of what diameter to cut the circular parts.

Depending on the size of the wheel a useful idea is to cut out a slightly
    smaller diameter former out of scrap as in

wttttttttttttt
    wf
    wf
    wf
    wf
    wf
    wf
    wf
    wtttttttttttt

where w - wheel, f - former, t - tread (haven't done ASCII art for ages).

If you build this way remember to trim off part of the former to allow for
    the extra thickness of the joint where the tread ends are joined.

Personally I don't care for trying to insert the wheel inside the tread - it's too easy to misalign the wheels.

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Charlie
  4. GEEDUBBYA

GEEDUBBYA Active Member

Howdy ,

I prefer to trim the outer walls of the tire if needed, meaning i sandwhich the tread between the two outer walls of the tire. Usually I can keep the diameter pretty close to the original diameter with only minimal trimming needed. Its alot easier to cut a circles along the outer edge than to try to cut one on an inside edge. (see figures below)

Hope this helps,

Greg aka GW
  5. jlinscheid

jlinscheid Member

Thanks guys!

I have a whole pile a wheels cut out waiting to be glued, but I wanted some input first. Great advise, and I think it will solve my problem.

Thanks again,
    James