question about enclosed cylinders.

Discussion in 'Tips, Tutorials & Tools' started by Kevin G, Aug 5, 2005.

1. Kevin G

Kevin G Member

I am currently building the F-14 bunny girl model and have run into a problem (again). The problem is that there are alot of cylinders that are enclosed on both ends. I can make the cylinder and put one end on just fine but when I get to the other end I have real trouble getting it to go on right. Anyone got any tips that may help me out?
    Thanks

Kevin
  2. Kevin G

Kevin G Member

I am currently building the F-14 bunny girl model and have run into a problem (again). The problem is that there are alot of cylinders that are enclosed on both ends. I can make the cylinder and put one end on just fine but when I get to the other end I have real trouble getting it to go on right. Anyone got any tips that may help me out?
    Thanks

Kevin
  3. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

I suppose you do not have any openning what so ever in the end.

This does make it tough, but not impossible. The way I've gotten a round it was to make the last piece just a tiny bit larger than the opening. Sanding helps, and adding a slight bevel makes it easier to fit. Then super glue it into the end. Not much of a solution I know, but it works for me.

Yes it does get aggravating at times.........

john
  4. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

I suppose you do not have any openning what so ever in the end.

This does make it tough, but not impossible. The way I've gotten a round it was to make the last piece just a tiny bit larger than the opening. Sanding helps, and adding a slight bevel makes it easier to fit. Then super glue it into the end. Not much of a solution I know, but it works for me.

Yes it does get aggravating at times.........

john
  5. Al hazlet

Al hazlet Member

Here's one thought -- make the end pieces thicker, either by laminating onto several layers of cardstock, or by making them into open-ended cylinders of their own. Then you wrap the cylinder wall around the ends, and their extra thickness gives you plenty of mating surface. You're not plugging a cylinder, you're rolling a skin around the end disks, and you can do that with an eye to making it come just to the surface of the disks.

Cheesy ASCI art depiction:

Code:
        -----cylinder skin---------------       making the ends into open
                                     ----       cylinders or thicker disks
                                    end ]       gives you a longer mating 
                                     ----       area to roll it around.
       ----------------------------------
  6. Al hazlet

Al hazlet Member

Here's one thought -- make the end pieces thicker, either by laminating onto several layers of cardstock, or by making them into open-ended cylinders of their own. Then you wrap the cylinder wall around the ends, and their extra thickness gives you plenty of mating surface. You're not plugging a cylinder, you're rolling a skin around the end disks, and you can do that with an eye to making it come just to the surface of the disks.

Cheesy ASCI art depiction:

Code:
        -----cylinder skin---------------       making the ends into open
                                     ----       cylinders or thicker disks
                                    end ]       gives you a longer mating 
                                     ----       area to roll it around.
       ----------------------------------
  7. barry

barry Active Member

enclosed tubes

If one end will not be visible leave a hole in the centre of the end not seen.
    run PVA glur round the inside of the open tube push the bottom circle in vertically then tamp it down from the end with the hole in the centre which has already been glued in place.

Alternatively just push the end plate in and with a thin blade ease it back out until it's flush have the swear box handy for purchasing your next model.

barry
  8. barry

barry Active Member

enclosed tubes

If one end will not be visible leave a hole in the centre of the end not seen.
    run PVA glur round the inside of the open tube push the bottom circle in vertically then tamp it down from the end with the hole in the centre which has already been glued in place.

Alternatively just push the end plate in and with a thin blade ease it back out until it's flush have the swear box handy for purchasing your next model.

barry
  9. cecil_severs

cecil_severs Member

Here's another idea which I use quite often. Just stuff the cylinder with tissue paper till you get enough to just fill the cylinder plus a tad. Then when you put the other end on you'll have a nice surface to push against and more places to put glue. As a bonus you can soak the tissue with glue as you are stuffing it to get a nice rigid cylinder.

Cecil
  10. cecil_severs

cecil_severs Member

Here's another idea which I use quite often. Just stuff the cylinder with tissue paper till you get enough to just fill the cylinder plus a tad. Then when you put the other end on you'll have a nice surface to push against and more places to put glue. As a bonus you can soak the tissue with glue as you are stuffing it to get a nice rigid cylinder.

Cecil
  11. silverw

silverw Member

Hey Kevin...

How about...... make two cylinders, closed on one end..... the second just slightly smaller... so it will slide nicely inside the first.(could even be slightly conical, to make easier fitting together) :D
  12. silverw

silverw Member

Hey Kevin...

How about...... make two cylinders, closed on one end..... the second just slightly smaller... so it will slide nicely inside the first.(could even be slightly conical, to make easier fitting together) :D
  13. J.L.

J.L. Member

Kevin,
    Being a woodturner, I would expand on Cecil's idea - but rather than trying to fill the cylinder, I would turn the cylinder of softwood on the lathe, removed the tab on the paper cylinder barrel portion so that the cylinder would meet with a smooth seam, (no overlap) and glue two disks on each end. (any triangular tabs on the intended end caps would be removed) The cylinder becomes almost seamless with no overlap. If the paper is patterned, the joint, if applied to the wooden cylinder well, becomes amost invisible. The light does not catch or shadow on the seam.
    J.L.
  14. J.L.

J.L. Member

Kevin,
    Being a woodturner, I would expand on Cecil's idea - but rather than trying to fill the cylinder, I would turn the cylinder of softwood on the lathe, removed the tab on the paper cylinder barrel portion so that the cylinder would meet with a smooth seam, (no overlap) and glue two disks on each end. (any triangular tabs on the intended end caps would be removed) The cylinder becomes almost seamless with no overlap. If the paper is patterned, the joint, if applied to the wooden cylinder well, becomes amost invisible. The light does not catch or shadow on the seam.
    J.L.