Question about ballast?

Discussion in 'HO Scale Model Trains' started by trainsteve2435, Aug 30, 2007.

1. trainsteve2435

trainsteve2435 Member

Hello everyone, i have a question for ya....... how do most of you get ballast up after its been set with glue? Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!:thumb:
  2. bigsteel

bigsteel Call me Mr.Tinkertrain

i think you can dissolve the glue with alcohol,I'm not totally sure,iv never had to take up ballast before.
    --josh
  3. ezdays

ezdays Out AZ way

That depends on what kind of glue you used. If you used white glue, it is water soluble and you just need to soak it in water for a few minutes. I've been taking up some of my N scale track and ballast and I soak the ballast, then come back with a small chisel to work the ballast loose. I also use a putty knife to scrape up the large chunks. One word though, it is messy and you wind up with ballast stuck all over the place so I also have a wire brush, several other stiff brushes and a hand-held vacuum cleaner.
  4. RobertInOntario

RobertInOntario Active Member

A guy at a LHS told me to spray the ballast with Windex. So that's what I do and it works very well. My ballast was glued with the typical white glue/water mix. Whenever I need to move ballast, I really soak it down with Windex (or similar product), let it soak in for a couple minutes, then the track and/or ballast can be moved quite easily. Rob
  5. trainsteve2435

trainsteve2435 Member

Hey, thanks guys for the information, i'll give it a try.:wave: